Salted Caramel Frosting is a delicious buttercream recipe for cakes, cupcakes, whoopie pies and more!
Salted Caramel Frosting is not my favorite, I’ve always been more of a peanut butter frosting girl. Actually, I like caramel, it’s the salted part that I could take or leave, but today is Matt’s birthday and on Matt’s birthday, Matt gets what he wants ?
I do actually adore my Salted Caramel Carrot Cake, it’s pretty darn epic, and has become an Easter tradition. Matt loves salted caramel, it usually his first choice of gelato and fudge, except maybe peanut butter, but I feel like that’s kind of a given, amirite?
Like most of my frosting recipes, this Salted Caramel Frosting is whipped into a creamy buttercream made with butter, powdered sugar, heavy cream. The caramel sauce and Fleur de sel add the final touch to this decadent frosting you’ll want to slather on EVERYTHING!
What To Use This Salted Caramel Frosting On
- Cakes – because every cake needs frosting! Okay, not every cake, but it never hurts!
- Cupcakes – See above, but cupcakes really do NEED frosting. A naked cupcake is just a muffin ?
- Whoopie Pies – The Maine State Treat! This frosting would make an excellent filling for chocolate whoopies!
- Cookies – Either as a light spread of as a cookie sandwich filling!
- Freakshakes – If you’re ever up to making one at home, this would be great around the rim!
Salted Caramel Frosting
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 4-5 cups powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup caramel sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon Fleur de sel plus more for garnish
- 3-4 tablespoons heavy cream
- In a large bowl or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter until smooth.
- Add in the confectioners' sugar a little at a time, mixing between additions.
- Add in the caramel sauce, vanilla, and Fleur de sol and beat on high for 2 minutes.
- Add in the heavy cream and beat on high for another 4 minutes until light and fluffy.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Don't forget to share it with me on Instagram @sugarandsoulco and follow on Tiktok @sugarandsoulco and Pinterest @sugarandsoulco for more!
Share your thoughts!
Love this recipe? Share your thoughts with me below and leave a review! And don’t forget to connect on your favorite social platform below!
Comments & Reviews
Does this frosting have to be refrigerated?
Rebecca Hubbell says
Hi Rashidah, it doesn’t have to be but it can be. Just be sure to keep it in an area that doesn’t get too hot.
Thanks, Rebecca! I want to use this frosting with the butterbeer cupcake recipe and I won’t have space in my fridge for them.
This frosting looks so perfect! I love the flavor of salted caramel!