Creamy Wild Rice Soup is the perfect slow cooker soup for cold winter nights and loaded with a wild rice blend fresh, carrots, and celery.
Creamy Wild Rice Soup
After a long time finally, I was able to lay my hands on a slow cooker. It had been on my wishlist for, I don’t know, since ages! Since then I’ve been trying a variety of slow cooker recipes in it.
Especially for busy weeknights, I have found crockpot meals so much convenient. Dinners like this Creamy Wild Rice Soup is ready and warm when you come back home after a long day of work!
Now, making soup couldn’t get easier thanks to my slow cooker! This Creamy Wild Rice Soup hardly takes no time to prepare. You’ll only need 10 to 15 minutes to prep the veggies and the soup base in the morning and this comforting soup will be ready in a few hours!
How to make Creamy Wild Rice Soup in the slow cooker?
- For this soup, you will need fresh carrots, celery, onions and of course rice. I used wild rice blend for this recipe.
- For the creamy base cook flour and minced garlic in some butter or oil and then whisk in milk.
- Then add this creamy mixture along with rice, chopped onions, and veggies in the crockpot.
- Add vegetable stock, some fresh thyme, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Cook the soup mixture for 4-5 hours on low setting.
- Finally, add cream and adjust the seasonings according to your taste.
You can also garnish it with some fresh chopped parsley. Serve warm with toasted bread slice or croutons.
Wild Rice Soup Recipe Variations:
- To make this soup vegan-friendly use oil, nut milk and fresh cashew cream instead of dairy products.
- Want to make chicken and wild rice soup? Simply add some chicken (breast or boneless thigh) along with rice. Once fully cooked take out the chicken from the soup, cut or shred it and then add it back to the soup. Alternatively, add fully cooked chicken once the soup is ready.
- You can also use chicken stock/broth in place of vegetable broth.
Pin this Wild Rice Soup Recipe for Later!
Creamy Wild Rice Soup Recipe
- 3/4 cup wild rice blend
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 2 medium carrots diced
- 1 celery stalk diced
- 4 cup vegetable broth or more
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2-3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- Add rice, carrot, onion, celery, and vegetable broth in the crockpot.
- Heat butter in a small saucepan over the medium heat. Add garlic and cook for 30-40 sec or until fragrant.
- Add flour and saute for 2-3 min. Stir continuously to avoid burning.
- Then gradually add milk and whisk to combine.
- Add this flour mixture to the crockpot and mix well with the rice and veggies.
- Season with salt, pepper, and fresh thyme.
- Cook this soup mixture on low setting for about 4 hours.
- Once the rice is cooked, add heavy cream. Adjust seasonings per your taste.
- Garnish with fresh chopped parsley and serve warm.