Mac and Cheese In A Mug is a deliciously cheesy TikTok trend that everyone’s running to the kitchen to make! And the best part? It only takes 5 minutes and a handful of ingredients!
This Mac And Cheese In A Mug is a quick way to snag a single serving of creamy, cheesy goodness! Thanks to TikTok for spreading this trend quicker than it takes to make it, there’s now an easy, cheesy recipe that fits everyone!
Looking to skip mealtime battles with your kids? Mug mac and cheese. Settling into the dorm after a party? Mug mac and cheese! Getting home late from work and don’t want to cook? You guessed it! Macaroni and cheese in a mug!
All it takes is just a handful of ingredients, 1 minute of prep, and 5 minutes of cooking before you’re holding a mug of comfort food in your hands! You can even get super fancy and add in some crumbled bacon or chopped-up jalapenos!
Luckily most of these viral recipes have short ingredient lists, making it relatively easy to try a taste of the trends everyone’s talking about! For this mug mac and cheese you’ll need:
- Short Pasta – I used elbow macaroni, but you can also use penne, rotini, or medium shells.
- Water – For cooking the pasta!
- Salt – This helps increase the boiling point of the water while also adding a slight flavor to the pasta.
- Cheddar Cheese – Triple cheddar, mild cheddar, sharp or extra sharp cheddar cheese.
- Parmesan Cheese – Adds another cheesy flavor to this mug meal!
- Milk – I used whole milk but feel free to use what you have on hand!
- Salted Butter – This is where my recipe differs slightly from the TikTok version. The addition of butter is perfect in this mac and cheese recipe making the sauce even smoother and creamier.
How To Make Mac and Cheese In A Mug
- Add water, pasta, and salt to a large mug.
- Microwave for 4 to 4 1/2 minutes.
- Stir in the cheese, milk, and butter then continue microwaving until the pasta is tender and the cheese is fully melted. Season with salt and pepper, enjoy!
I tested this with both elbow macaroni and penne pasta, the elbows took 4 minutes to cook before adding the cheese whereas the penned took 4 1/2 minutes.
How Can I Avoid Overcooking The Pasta?
Just simply keep a closer eye on the pasta by stirring after each minute! Once it gets to the tenderness you prefer move on to the next step in the recipe!
Can I Use Evaporated Milk For This Recipe?
Yes you can! It will just make it much more creamier unless you do one tablespoon of water and one tablespoon of evaporated milk!
Can I Cook Two Mugs Of Mac and Cheese At The Same Time?
No, I’d recommend just cooking one at a time. Usually when you try to microwave two things at once one will cook more than the other.
Who thought delicious, fun recipes would be spreading over TikTok like wildfire? Check out more viral TikTok recipes like this Instant Mac and Cheese that you may have missed that are worth trying!
- Smoked Queso Dip (Viral TikTok Recipe) – Smoky, spicy flavor floods this appetizer that’s cooked in the smoker in just 1 hour!
- Korean Corndogs with Korean Ketchup – Hot dogs hand-dipped in a batter and then rolled in chopped-up french fries or ramen noodles for a fun food truck snack!
- Corona Sunrise (Viral TikTok Cocktail) – Made right in the bottle with beer, tequila, orange juice, grenadine, and lime juice for a citrusy, sweet tasting drink perfect for summer!
- Nature’s Cereal Recipe (All Berries) – A healthy trend that fills your cereal bowl full of fruit, ice cubes, and coconut water for a refreshing start to your day!
- Cookie Butter Latte (TikTok Starbucks Secret Menu) – This simple sweet and creamy latte comes together quickly right at home for a fraction of the cost!
Mac And Cheese In A MugPin For Later
CLICK THE BUTTON ABOVE TO SAVE THIS DELICIOUS RECIPE TO YOUR BOARD!
👋 Let’s Connect!
If you’ve tried this recipe please let me know how you liked it in the comments below and leave a review, I love hearing from you! And don’t forget to tag me – @sugarandsoulco – on Instagram and Pinterest with your photos!
Mac and Cheese In A Mug
- ½ cup short pasta such as elbows, penne, or medium shells
- ½ cup water
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 tablespoon salted butter
- parsley optional garnish
- Add pasta, water, and salt to a large mug and microwave for 4 to 4½ minutes.
- Remove from the microwave and stir in the cheese and milk, microwave for an additional 30 seconds or until pasta is tender and the cheese is fully melted.
- An additional 30 seconds of cook time may need to be added to both rounds of microwaving depending on the style and brand of pasta you use.
- You do not want the pasta to be completely soft before adding the cheese since you’ll need to microwave after adding the cheese and no one likes mushy pasta.
- I tested this with both elbow macaroni and penne pasta, the elbows took 4 minutes to cook before adding the cheese whereas the penned took 4 1/2 minutes.