Texas Toast Sloppy Joes is a family favorite meal that serves zesty homemade sloppy joe sauce over garlicky, crunchy Texas Toast! A quick and delicious dinner option that’s ready in only 35 minutes!
This Texas Toast Sloppy Joe recipe is a major upgrade from your favorite childhood dinner! Homemade zesty sloppy joe sauce smothers store-bought Texas Toast and is then covered in melty cheese!
After a quick run to the store, you can slide this dinner onto the table in just 35 minutes!
Sinking Your Taste Buds Into These Texas Toast Sloppy Joes
Taste: These sloppy joes have all the flavor your taste buds could ever want! The burger sauce combines zesty, savory, and subtly sweet flavors. Then all of that saucy goodness is piled onto a buttery garlic piece of Texas Toast. You’ll be hooked after the first bite!
Texture: Sloppy Joes are just that – sloppy! Deliciously sloppy that is. The saucy mix is flooded with crumbles of tender ground beef, diced onions, and green peppers. While the bread provides a crunchier texture!
Homemade Flavor That Can’t Be Beaten!
I get it, canned often means convenient! But you also lose out on tons of fresh, mouthwatering flavor by skipping out on homemade.
This Texas Toast Sloppy Joe Recipe makes it easy to add flavor by using ingredients you likely already have. The savory flavor is brought to the recipe with garlic powder, Dijon mustard, and tomato paste.
While Worcestershire sauce and apple cider vinegar lend a taste of zing. All of this flavor is then balanced out with a little sweetness thanks to your favorite honey barbecue sauce!
Tips For The Tastiest Sloppy Joes
- Excess Liquid – After cooking the ground beef and vegetables in the skillet be sure to drain the excess liquid. Excess liquid from frying alters the flavor of the recipe and makes the sloppy joe mixture extra runny.
- Simmering – Once the browned ground beef and vegetables combine with the remaining ingredients allow plenty of time to simmer. Simmering allows the sloppy joe mix to thicken, making it the perfect consistency!
- Meat Choice – I make this recipe with ground beef but ground turkey can also be used if you prefer.
- Broiling – Don’t skip out on broiling the finished Texas Toast Sloppy Joes! Broiling brings these Sloppy Joes to the finish line by melting and slightly browning the shredded mozzarella cheese!
- Enjoying Immediately – Since the Sloppy Joe mix is served on bread these are best enjoyed immediately. Doing so will avoid soggy Texas Toast!
I’d recommend only storing leftover Sloppy Joe mixture that hasn’t been used on Texas Toast. Completed leftover Texas Toast Sloppy Joes will turn soggy within a day.
Leftover Sloppy Joe mixture can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.
What Else Can I Serve The Sloppy Joe Mix On Besides Texas Toast?
This saucy burger mixture can also be served on bulky rolls, hamburger rolls, or even brioche rolls!
Can I Make The Sauce Mixture Extra Sloppy?
Of course! For a looser sloppy joe consistency just add extra ketchup or BBQ sauce.
Everyone will love the flavor of these Texas Toast Sloppy Joes while you’ll love how quick they are to make! Snag another 30-minute dinner recipe that’ll also save you time without sacrificing flavor!
- Smash Burgers In Cast Iron Skillet – Juicy, caramelized burgers that’ll make your mouth water!
- Tortellini Alla Panna – An Italian pasta dish that has a creamy homemade parmesan sauce!
- Potato Chip Chicken Tenders – Has a honey barbecue potato chip bread crumb coating!
- Instant Pot Chicken Parmesan Pasta – A family favorite that hits the table in just 25 minutes!
- Air Fryer Pizzas – Made with refrigerated biscuits and ready in under 30 minutes!
Texas Toast Sloppy JoesPin For Later
CLICK THE BUTTON ABOVE TO SAVE THIS DELICIOUS RECIPE TO YOUR BOARD!
👋 Let’s Connect!
If you’ve tried this recipe please let me know how you liked it in the comments below and leave a review, I love hearing from you! And don’t forget to tag me – @sugarandsoulco – on Instagram and Pinterest with your photos!
Texas Toast Sloppy Joes
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 white onion finely diced
- 1 green bell pepper finely diced
- 1 cup ketchup
- 3 ounces tomato paste
- ¼ cup honey barbecue sauce
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- 8 pieces Texas Toast
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- fresh parsley for garnish
- Add the ground beef, onions, and green pepper to a large skillet and cook over medium-high heat until beef has browned and vegetables are tender. Drain excess liquid.1 lb lean ground beef, 1 white onion, 1 green bell pepper
- Add in the ketchup, tomato paste, barbecue sauce, mustard, Worchestershire, vinegar, and spices, and simmer over medium-low heat for 15 to 20 minutes until the sauce has thickened.1 cup ketchup, 3 ounces tomato paste, ¼ cup honey barbecue sauce, 1 tablespoon dijon mustard, 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, salt, ground black pepper
- Meanwhile, bake the Texas Toast according to the package directions.8 pieces Texas Toast
- Top the freshly baked pieces of toast with the finished sloppy joe mixture and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Broil on low for 1 to 2 minutes, just until the cheese is melted and starting to brown.1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Garnish with fresh parsley if desired and enjoy immediately.fresh parsley