Looking for a bread that requires zero skill, two ingredients, and no kneading? This basic Ice Cream Bread made with vanilla ice cream and self-rising flour is exactly what you’re looking for!
The bread is tender and lightly sweet! It’s delicious with butter, jam, or even berries and whipped cream! Plus the flavor options are endless since it’s super customizable!
Given the recent events, even traditional bread ingredients like all-purpose flour and yeast are hard to come by. But if you can get your hands on some self-rising flour and ice cream (of any flavor) you can make yourself a nice loaf of Ice Cream Bread!
So yeah, just two ingredients and loaf pan and you’re ready to get baking!
- Ice Cream – Make sure to use full-fat ice cream and avoid sugar-free or reduced sugar varieties as well, for the best results. This will bring in your liquid and sugar to the batter.
- Self Rising Flour – This is actually all-purpose flour that has salt and baking powder mixed in. You wouldn’t use yeast with this type of flour because baking powder is a leavening agent and will allow the dough to rise while baking.
Why This Recipe Works
The ice cream and flour work together to create a dense and delicious quick bread. Most of the ingredients you’d use to make bread exist within these two and therefore the right ratio can produce a yummy loaf all on their own!
Quick bread recipes are great because they don’t require any proofing, kneading, and are usually ready to enjoy in under an hour.
Using vanilla ice cream will yield a lightly sweetened bread that’s great plain, butter, or with jelly! You could even top with macerated berries and whipped cream for an easy dessert option! It griddles up really nicely too!
However, you can use any flavor of full-fat ice cream you’d like to change the flavor of the bread. And you can even add chocolate chips or berries into the batter, just toss them in the flour beforehand so they don’t sink to the bottom!
More Bread Recipes
Ice Cream BreadPin It For Later
Click the button above to save this delicious recipe to your board!
👋 Let’s Connect!
If you’ve tried this recipe, please let me know how you liked it in the comments below and leave a review. I love hearing from you!
Don’t forget to tag me – @sugarandsoulco – on Instagram and Pinterest with your photos or join our Sugar & Soul Show-offs Community and share them there, where you can join our recipe challenges!
Ice Cream Bread
- 2 cups ice cream1 softened
- 1½ cups self-rising flour2 spooned and leveled
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray a loaf pan3 with non-stick spray and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix the softened ice cream and flour just until combined.
- Add the batter to the prepared loaf pan and bake for 40 to 45 minutes until a toothpick comes clean when inserted into the center. Once cooked, run a knife along the edges of the pan to remove.
- Make sure you use full-fat ice cream. You can choose any flavor you’d like.
- You must use self-rising flour for this recipe, all-purpose will not work.
- You can use any loaf pan size between 8×4 and 9×5-inches.
- Nutritional information is for the entire loaf, but will vary based on the brand of ice cream you use.