Instant Pot Beef Bourguignon has tender, juicy chunks of beef surrounded by carrots, mushrooms, and potatoes that are covered in a delicious gravy made of beef broth and red wine!
This Instant Pot Beef Bourguignon is a hearty meal that will surely satisfy everyone that’s around your dinner table! This dish is packed full of fresh and dried seasonings making it one of the tastiest meals you’ll be proud to serve!
Making this Beef Bourguignon in an Instant Pot makes it a simple one-pot main dish with easy cleanup! And it’s way easier than Julia Child’s recipe thanks to the pressure cooker!
Just use one more pot to make creamy Mashed Potatoes or pasta to serve the beef over and you’ve got yourself a complete meal!
Instant Pot Beef Bourguignon Ingredients
The core of this dish is chopped up bacon, cubed beef chuck roast, diced onion, sliced baby Bella mushrooms, chopped carrots, and baby potatoes. For the sauce base of this recipe, you’ll need salt, pepper, cornstarch, beef broth or beef stock, red Burgundy wine (pinot noir or merlot will also work), and tomato paste.
If you want to skip the chopping and sauteeing of onions, you could also use pearl onions.
Pack this dish with flavor using seasonings like minced fresh thyme, garlic powder, dried rosemary, dried basil, and fresh parsley.
How To Make Instant Pot Beef Bourguignon
- Brown the chopped bacon on the saute setting then remove and set aside. Drain half of the grease.
- Coat the diced beef chuck roast in salt and pepper, then saute it the leftover bacon grease. Work in batches to brown all sides of the beef without cooking it all the way through.
- Remove the beef from the instant pot and set it aside. Add in unsalted butter and saute the diced onion until soft.
- Whisk in the red wine, beef brother, and tomato paste into the instant pot. Scrape all the browned bits from the bottom of the instant pot to incorporate all the flavor.
- Add in the bacon, beef chuck roast, mushrooms, carrots, fresh thyme, garlic powder, rosemary, and basil. Pressure cook on the “meat/stew” setting and follow with instant pressure release.
- Serve garnished with fresh chopped parsley.
What is Beef Bourguignon?
Beef Bourguignon is a typical French dish that’s often served with mashed potatoes or pasta. It’s a meat and vegetables stew that’s been braised in Burgundy wine and makes for an incredibly tender and flavorful dish.
How can I thicken the sauce?
Take out ½ cup of the sauce to mix with 1 to 2 tablespoons of cornstarch until lumps are gone. When all the lumps are out add it into the instant pot and stir on saute mode until it thickens.
How do I store my Beef Bourguignon?
Store any leftovers in an airtight container for up to 4 days in the refrigerator. This beef dish can also be stored in the freezer for up to 3 to 6 months.
This Beef Bourguignon is packed with a flavor that will be hard to forget! Here are more flavorful beef recipes worth making to help you switch up the way you serve beef!
- Slow Cooker Italian Beef – Flavorful beef that will literally melt in your mouth!
- Crock Pot Beef Stew – A family favorite that’s loaded with tender chunks of beef and veggies!
- Beef Stroganoff – Ribeye steak sauteed in a buttery mushroom and sour cream sauce served over egg noodles!
- Corned Beef and Cabbage – A classic Irish recipe with meat that’s been brined for 7 to 10 days to really pack it full of flavor!
- Braised Beef Short Ribs – Made in a dutch oven for rich and delicious meat that falls off the bone!
Beef BourguignonPin For Later
CLICK THE BUTTON ABOVE TO SAVE THIS DELICIOUS RECIPE TO YOUR BOARD!
👋 Let’s Connect!
If you’ve tried this recipe please let me know how you liked it in the comments below and leave a review, I love hearing from you! And don’t forget to tag me – @sugarandsoulco – on Instagram and Pinterest with your photos!
Instant Pot Beef Bourguignon
- 4 strips bacon chopped into 1” pieces
- 1½ pounds beef chuck roast cubed
- 1 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ onion diced
- 1½ cups low sodium beef broth
- ½ cup red wine Burgundy preferred
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1½ cups sliced Baby Bella mushrooms sliced (slice and then measure)
- 1 cup carrots sliced (about 2 carrots)
- ¾ pound baby potatoes about 2 cups
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme minced
- 1½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- 1-2 tablespoon cornstarch
- Chopped Fresh parsley optional garnish
- Using the sauté setting on your instant pot, brown the chopped bacon. Once browned, remove and set aside. Drain half of the grease.
- Take the diced beef chuck roast and coat it with salt and pepper. Use the leftover bacon grease in the instant pot to sauté and add beef in a single layer. Working in batches, brown all sides of beef, but do not cook all the way through. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Add the last tablespoon of unsalted butter to the instant pot and sauté the diced onion until they soften.
- Whisk in the red wine, beef broth, and tomato paste into the instant pot. Scrape all the browned bits from the bottom of the instant pot to incorporate all that flavor. Make sure there aren’t any pieces stuck to the bottom or the instant pot may read as “burn” in the middle of cooking.
- Add in the bacon, beef chuck roast, mushrooms, carrots, fresh thyme, garlic powder, rosemary, and basil.
- Cook in the instant pot on the “Meat/stew” setting for 30 minutes and follow with instant pressure release.
- If you would like to thicken the sauce, take out ½ cup sauce, and mix it with 1 to 2 Tablespoons cornstarch. Once all of the lumps are out, add it back into the mix and turn the instant pot to sauté mode. Stir until it reaches your desired thickness.
- Turn off “saute” mode and plate and garnish with fresh chopped parsley, optional. Best when served warm.
- Store this in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Your beef dish can also be stored in the freezer for up to Three to six months for best quality.
- You can also use stew meat for this recipe if you want to decrease the prep time.
- Russet potatoes may also be used and chopped before adding.
- You can use any type of sliced mushrooms for this recipe if you don’t want to use baby bella.
- Vegetable or chicken broth may be used in place of beef broth.