This Blueberry Margarita is made with ripe blueberries, lime juice, orange liqueur, and tequila for a fruity New England take on the classic cocktail!
Blueberries are a summer staple here in Maine and with everything going on I think summer should start a little early with this delicious Blueberry Margarita!
Spring and Summer are on the way, can you feel it? The days are getting longer and slightly warmer and although we haven’t had too hard of a winter here in Maine, I’m excited about the bonfires and fruit cocktails and hikes that are sure to be ahead of me this summer!
One of my favorite things about summer is the fresh berries; nothing quite comes close to the juiciness of a plump wild blackberry or the perfect balance of tart and sweet in a Maine Blueberry.
Farming is such an important part of Maine life, and our berry crops are no exception; our blueberries are pretty much famous, and with good reason, they’re amazing!
Blueberries really are one of the most overlooked fruits, and people often miss out on the beautiful complexity of their flavor. Whether fresh from the field after a day of raking, baked into muffins, or blended into a cocktail, the fresh blueberry flavor tends to shine!
Why I Love This Drink Recipe:
The pulp from the blended blueberries adds a subtle texture while the fresh lime juice adds a lovely vibrancy, and the orange liqueur layers served up with the Altos Tequila for a smooth finish.
You can rim the glass with either salt or sugar depending on what you prefer. Personally, I love sugar because of the sweetness it adds to the blueberries and tequila as it runs over my lips.
Can I Make It Frozen?
Absolutely! Add all of the ingredients (except the salt/sugar) to a blender and pulse until a slush forms – add more ice if needed! Rim your glass with salt or sugar, pour the margarita into the pitcher, and enjoy!
Feel free to separately blend and strain the blueberries if you don’t want the skins. Or use my Blueberry Cocktail Syrup to make this recipe instead of fresh blueberries.
More Delicious Cocktails
👋 Let’s Connect!
If you’ve tried this recipe, please let me know how you liked it in the comments below and leave a review; I love hearing from you! And don’t forget to tag me – @sugarandsoulco – on Instagram and Pinterest with your photos or join our Sugar & Soul Show-offs Community and share them there, where you can join our recipe challenges and win prizes!
- Blend the blueberries in a blender or food processor until smooth. Strain through a mesh sieve to remove the pulp.
- Combine the blueberry juice, lime juice, tequila, orange liqueur, and simple syrup together in a cocktail shaker and set aside.
- Run a lime wedge along the rim of two glasses then dip the rims into a shallow bowl or plate with salt or sugar.
- Fill the glasses about ¾ full of ice and pour in the drink mixture, garnish with lime wedge and serve.
- Want a frozen margarita? Add all of the ingredients except the salt and sugar to a blender and pulse until a slush forms. Pour into salt or sugar rimmed cups and enjoy.