Instant Pot BBQ Chicken pairs shredded chicken with your favorite BBQ sauce to create a satisfying dinner option that’s served on a bun with coleslaw and ready in just 30 minutes!
This Instant Pot Pulled Chicken gives you all the best flavors of BBQ without firing up the grill or smoker! You can even switch up the taste every time you make this recipe just by easily swapping out BBQ sauce flavors!
Why This Recipe Works!
- The Instant Pot quickly delivers the shredded chicken without drying it out, instead, it’s moist and packed with flavor!
- You choose the BBQ sauce which means you’re sure to create a meal you know you’ll love!
- Easy cleanup! This easy recipe is made using just the instant pot which means clean up is a breeze!
- Pick your sides! Serve these shredded chicken sandwiches with chips or Homemade French Fries to complete the meal!
Ingredients for Instant Pot BBQ Chicken
This shredded BBQ chicken quickly comes together using boneless skinless chicken thighs and your favorite BBQ sauce! You’ll also need chicken stock, apple cider vinegar, garlic powder, paprika, and salt to finish off this recipe.
Grab some hearty buns, coleslaw, and Bread & Butter Pickles for serving!
How To Make Instant Pot BBQ Chicken
- Add the chicken stock and apple cider vinegar to the Instant Pot insert. Then add in the chicken thighs and sprinkle garlic powder, paprika, and salt over them.
- Pour BBQ sauce over the chicken thighs, do not stir.
- Attach the lid to the electric pressure cooker, place the valve in the sealing position, and then set the timer. When it’s finished allow the pressure to naturally release before switching the valve to the “venting” position.
- Remove the chicken and shred it on a cutting board. Then return it to the Instant Pot with the remaining BBQ sauce.
How Can I Thicken The Sauce?
Once you remove the chicken to shred it turn the instant pot to Saute-Normal and whisk in 2 tablespoons of flour. Cook, stirring occasionally until the sauce has thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon.
Can I Use Chicken Breasts Instead Of Chicken Thighs?
Yes! I just prefer bbq chicken thighs over chicken breasts because the dark meat in the thighs have more flavor! But you can definitely use breasts if that’s what you prefer.
How Do I Store Leftovers?
You can store any leftover BBQ chicken in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Can I Make This In The Slow Cooker?
Absolutely! Just add everything to the crock pot and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours or low for 6 to 8 until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees. Then shred and enjoy!
This Instant Pot Pulled BBQ Chicken recipe is a great way to mix up how to serve chicken in your weekly dinner rotation! Here are more chicken recipes to tuck into your meal planning that the whole family will love!
- Ranch Chicken – Uses just two ingredients to pack in the flavor, bake it in the oven or cook it on the grill!
- Oven Fried Chicken – Crunchy on the outside but tender, and juicy on the inside!
- Garlic Chicken – A delicious dairy-free dinner option that uses 40 cloves of garlic!
- Salsa Chicken – Ready in just 45 minutes using only 4 ingredients!
- Lemon Chicken Thighs – Basted with a homemade sauce while roasting using a traditional Chinese technique!
Instant Pot Barbecue Chicken
Click the button above to save this delicious recipe to your board!
👋 Let’s Connect!
If you’ve tried this recipe, please let me know how you liked it in the comments below and leave a review; I love hearing from you! And don’t forget to tag me – @sugarandsoulco – on Instagram and Pinterest with your photos or join our Busy Family Recipes Facebook Community and share them there!
Instant Pot BBQ Chicken
- Add the chicken stock and apple cider vinegar to the Instant Pot insert.
- Next, add the chicken thighs. Sprinkle over the garlic powder, paprika, and salt.
- Finally, pour ¾ cup of BBQ Sauce over the chicken thighs. Do not stir.
- Attach the lid and ensure the valve is in the “sealing position”. Set the timer for 15 minutes. When the timer finishes, allow the pressure to naturally release for 10 minutes. Then, quickly release any remaining pressure by switching the valve to the “venting” position.
- Remove the chicken to a cutting board and shred it.
- (Optional) If you like a thick sauce on your sandwich, turn the Instant Pot to the Saute-Normal function and whisk in 2 tablespoons of flour. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 to 3 minutes or until the sauce has thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Return the chicken to the Instant Pot and add the remaining ¼ cup of BBQ Sauce.
- Serve immediately. Store any leftover BBQ chicken in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days.
- This recipe can also be made with chicken breasts, but chicken thighs have more flavor!
- My preferred BBQ sauce is Sweet Baby Ray’s, but use whatever you have on hand.
- Water can be used instead of chicken stock if needed.
- Nutritional information is an estimate and does not include sandwich fixings such as the bun or slaw.