Malibu Sunset Drink is a tropical cocktail made with pineapple juice, coconut rum, and homemade grenadine syrup for the perfect summer drink!
This Malibu Sunset Cocktail is bursting with the best tropical flavor that will make you feel like you’re sitting on a beach somewhere in the Caribbean Islands! You’ll love holding this 3-ingredient vibrant-colored drink in your hand while it goes down incredibly fast!
Layered drinks like this one and my Tequila Sunrise Cocktail make me weirdly happy! The beautiful layers of color just add such a special touch of excitement to the drink as I enjoy them around the pool, a backyard fire, or at a cookout with friends that I can’t help but smile!
What I Love About This Recipe!
- Budget-Friendly! This is an easy drink recipe that won’t break the bank but still delivers big flavor!
- You Control How Sweet It Is! If you prefer a sweeter cocktail you can add in more grenadine, if you prefer it to be a little less sweet you can reduce it!
- Make It A Large Batch! Serve a crowd by making this drink in a large pitcher. If you still want the layered cocktail effect just pour the grenadine in each cup first, then the rum and juice mixture from the pitcher over it!
- Homemade Grenadine! Making these drinks with homemade grenadine really adds a ton of flavor that you won’t find from a bottle of store-bought stuff!
Making fun and delicious cocktails doesn’t get much easier than this simple Malibu Sunset Recipe! To make one you’ll need:
- Ice – To keep your drink nice and cold!
- Coconut Rum – I used Malibu Coconut Rum but feel free to grab a bottle of your favorite kind!
- Pineapple Juice – Dole 100% Pineapple Juice
- Grenadine – Homemade or storebought, you choose!
Once you’ve poured your drink bring it to life by hanging pineapple, orange slices, and/or cherries off the side of the glass! And of course, if you have one, you HAVE to add an umbrella to really get that tropical feel!
How To Make A Malibu Sunset
- Fill a cocktail shaker halfway with ice.
- Add in the rum and pineapple juice and then shake vigorously.
- Pour the grenadine into a glass and top it with ice.
- Slowly pour the cocktail over the top of the ice into the glass.
- Garnish with a pineapple wedge and maraschino cherry. Stir before enjoying!
It’s very important to add the grenadine and ice to the glass first to create the layered effect.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Still Make This Drink Without A Cocktail Shaker?
Of course, you can! To do so just stir the coconut rum and pineapple juice together in a separate glass. Then pour it into the glass with ice and grenadine.
How Can I Make This Cocktail Recipe A Non-Alcoholic Drink?
I love a good mocktail too! For this recipe, you could swap out the coconut rum for coconut water or Bai which is a sweeter stand-in!
Can I Make This Malibu Sunset Drink Stronger?
Absolutely! Just add in as much coconut rum as you’d like.
What Other Types Of Juice Can I Use In This Mixed Drink?
Orange juice and cranberry juice are other popular juices to try in this rum cocktail! Some even prefer to use two types of juices in this drink, it just really comes down to what you like!
This Malibu Sunset Cocktail just makes me feel like I’m hanging out on endless miles of sandy beaches somewhere! Grab another easy recipe for more tropical party drinks that make you feel like you’re on vacation!
- Blue Hawaiian – Made with pineapple juice, coconut cream, rum, and blue curacao for a cocktail that can be served on the rocks or frozen!
- Mai Tai Cocktail – A delicious blend of coconut and spiced rums deliver the best tropical taste!
- Planter’s Punch Cocktail – Orange and pineapple juices combine with a splash of lime, grenadine, and rum!
- Rum Runner – This fruit cocktail is bursting with banana, blackberry, orange, and pineapple flavors!
- Pineapple Daiquiri – Blend up this frozen drink with pineapple, lime, simple syrup, and golden rum!
Malibu Sunset DrinkPin For Later
CLICK THE BUTTON ABOVE TO SAVE THIS DELICIOUS RECIPE TO YOUR BOARD!
👋 Let’s Connect!
If you’ve tried this recipe please let me know how you liked it in the comments below and leave a review, I love hearing from you! And don’t forget to tag me – @sugarandsoulco – on Instagram and Pinterest with your photos!
- Fill a cocktail shaker about halway with ice and add the rum and pineapple juice. Shake vigorously for 15 seconds until chilled.
- Add grenadine to a glass and top with ice.
- Pour the cocktail shake over the top of the ice into the glass.
- Serves with a pineapple wedge and maraschino cherry. Stirring is recommended before enjoying.