These Strawberry Danishes are filled with a sweet cream cheese filling and topped with juicy fresh strawberries and baked to a flaky golden brown for an easy breakfast pastry everyone will love!
This Strawberry Danish With Cream Cheese recipe will exceed all of your expectations after just one bite! The flaky, lightly crisp pastry shell mixed with the taste of creamy, fruity filling will have you already planning when you’ll whip up these easy treats again!
Enjoy them at home with your family, make them to share with friends, or bring them to work for a sweet treat everyone can snack on all day long!
Why I Love This Recipe!
- Juicy Berries! I use and share an easy trick to pull the juices from the strawberries to make them even more flavorful making for better danishes!
- Fun Variations! You can easily swap out the strawberry filling to try a variety of cream cheese danishes! Just scroll down to see some tasty ideas I’ve come up with that you’ll want to try!
- Breakfast Or Dessert! While danishes are commonly enjoyed for breakfast they also make the perfect warm, sweet dessert to have after dinner!
- Taste! These homemade Strawberry Danishes taste amazingly delicious with the sweet, fruity, cream cheese filling and flaky pastry shell! You’ll swear they’ve come from a bakery!
This easy Strawberry Cream Cheese Danish Recipe uses simple ingredients to create a sweet treat that tastes so much better than store-bought (and maybe even the bakery 😉 )! I bet you’ll even find you have most of these ingredients on hand!
For the delicious strawberry filling all you need is chopped or sliced fresh strawberries, cornstarch, and granulated sugar.
To make this recipe even easier you could also just use a scoop of strawberry preserves or pie filling!
When it comes to the pastry shell, simply grab a package of puff pastry from the store – so easy, right? For the best baking results, it’s important that the puff pastry stays cold right up until the Danishes go in the oven to bake!
To make the cheese filling you’ll need cream cheese, salt, egg yolk, granulated sugar, and vanilla extract. Keep in mind that the cream cheese needs to be softened really well to be sure that there aren’t any lumps in the filling!
Before baking, you’ll brush on an egg wash made of egg and water. This will make these Strawberry Danishes bake to a beautiful lightly crisp, golden brown!
Finish them off by sprinkling on powdered sugar or drizzling with Best Ever Homemade Vanilla Icing!
How To Make Strawberry Cheese Danish
- Toss the sliced strawberries, cornstarch, and granulated sugar until combined. Set aside until ready to use.
- Roll out the puff pastry sheets gently on a lightly floured surface.
- Cut each of the sheets into 4 equally-sized squares. Then fold over the corners of each of the squares about an inch, creating an octagon, and then place on prepared baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Cream together the cream cheese and sugar. Once smooth add in the egg yolk, vanilla, and salt and beat until fully combined.
- Scoop the cream cheese mixture onto the center of the puff pastries.
- Brush the egg wash all over the pastry around the cream cheese mixture.
- Flatten the cream cheese mixture and then top it with the sliced strawberries.
- Bake one baking sheet at a time for about 20 minutes, placing the other in the refrigerator until it’s time to bake.
- Cool slightly and then dust with powdered sugar or drizzle icing before enjoying!
Delicious Variations To Try!
One of the best parts of this Strawberry Danish With Cream Cheese Recipe is how incredibly simple it is to make delicious variations! Just swap out the strawberry filling and you’ve easily created a fun new flavor to try! Here are some tasty ideas you and your family may enjoy trying!
- Swap out the fresh strawberries for raspberries, this delivers a raspberry cream cheese danish!
- Summer would be a great time to pick some fresh blueberries for a blueberry cream cheese danish!
- Love cherries? Easily whip up cherry danishes by switching up the filling!
- Try using blackberries or raspberries instead of strawberries!
- You can even make a mixed berry danish by using a couple of your favorite berries together!
Whichever berry you choose to go with just be sure not to skip the step of tossing them with sugar and cornstarch to create perfectly juicy berries!
How To Store
If you have any leftovers you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 to 4 days! With how delicious these Danishes are I’d truly be surprised if there are any leftovers that last that long!
How Do I Reheat These Strawberry Danishes?
You can easily reheat them by microwaving them one at a time for 15 seconds. Microwaving more than one Danish at a time causes one to overcook while the other won’t cook at all.
Do I Have To Add Sugar And Cornstarch To The Strawberries?
I find this step greatly impacts the final taste of these Strawberry Danishes for the better! Adding sugar and cornstarch pulls the juices out from the berries making for a better more flavorful berry.
These Strawberry Cream Cheese Danishes’ are one of my favorite treats to enjoy for breakfast! Try another sweet strawberry recipe that the whole family will love!
- Simple Strawberry Pancakes – Buttermilk pancakes loaded with fresh strawberries and topped with strawberry sauce for a sweet, fruity breakfast!
- Delicious Strawberry & Peach Coffee Cake – Ripe fruit meets sweet homemade cake to bring a fun flavor to the breakfast table!
- Sweet Strawberry Coffee Cake Muffins – Made from scratch muffins filled with fresh strawberries and topped with a sugar and butter crumble!
- Strawberry Ice Cream Bread – Tasty bread made out of ice cream and cereal for a bread that’s perfect to enjoy in the mornings all week long!
- Easy Homemade Strawberry Sauce Topping – In less than 15 minutes you’ll have the best strawberry sauce that you can use on waffles, pancakes, and french toast!
Strawberry Cheese DanishPin For Later
CLICK THE BUTTON ABOVE TO SAVE THIS DELICIOUS RECIPE TO YOUR BOARD!
👋 Let’s Connect!
If you’ve tried this recipe please let me know how you liked it in the comments below and leave a review, I love hearing from you! And don’t forget to tag me – @sugarandsoulco – on Instagram and Pinterest with your photos!
Strawberry Cheese Danish
- 1½ cups fresh strawberries chopped or sliced
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 (17.25oz.) package puff pastry thawed but cold
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon water
- Powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Add the sliced strawberries, cornstarch, and granulated sugar to a medium bowl and toss to combine, let sit until ready to use.
- Unfold the two puff pastry sheets and use a rolling pin to gently roll them out to smooth out the creases, but don’t press hard, it’s okay if some remain.
- Use a pizza or pastry cutter to cut each of the sheets into 4 equally-sized squares.
- Fold over the corners of each of the squares about an inch to create an octagon. Feel free to wet your fingers to help the dough stick together. Transfer the pastries to baking sheets, placing 4 on each.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together the cream cheese and sugar until smooth.
- Beat in the egg yolk, vanilla, and salt and mix until fully combined.
- Use a medium cookie scoop to scoop the cream cheese mixture onto the center of the puff pastries. About 2 tablespoons per pastry.
- Beat together the egg and water to create the egg wash and brush all over the pastry around the cream cheese mixture.
- Use an offset spatula or the back of a spoon to slightly flatten the dollops of cheese and spread it out.
- Distribute the strawberry mixture evenly on top of the cream cheese mixture.
- Bake one baking sheet at a time for 18 to 20 minutes each, placing the other in the fridge while the first one bakes.
- Let cool slightly and dust with powdered sugar before enjoying.
- It’s really important that puff pastry stays cold for the best baking results. Puff pastry should be out of the cold for more than 30 to 40 minutes, this is why the second baking sheet needs to go back in the fridge while it waits to bake.
- Puff pastry can be thawed in the fridge overnight for best results.
- Make sure the cream cheese is really soft so that it blends really well and there are no lumps.
- Adding sugar and cornstarch to the berries helps pull out the juices while also keeping them intact making for a better and more flavorful baked berry.
- You don’t want to apply the egg wash under the cream cheese mixture because it will impact cooking.
- Reheat leftovers in the microwave for 15-seconds. Only be one sheet at a time, otherwise, one usually overcooks before the other fully cooks.