These Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes have a 3-ingredient strawberry filling and are topped with homemade whipped buttercream frosting!
I’m a HUGE fan of Homemade Strawberry Shortcake so these cupcakes hit the spot when I’m craving the popular summertime dessert!
Biting into one of these Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes will send you head first into summer! The explosion of the sweet, strawberry filling is everything you’ve waited for after a long winter!
But just so we’re clear – I’m also known to happily enjoy anything strawberry flavored in the height of winter too! Luckily this recipe makes it easy for me to do so since the cupcakes themselves are made with a doctored-up box cake mix!
Then with just 30 minutes of prep, I’m left with cupcakes that have a surprise filling and homemade frosting! Easy enough to enjoy any time the craving for strawberry shortcake hits!
There are four easy-to-make parts to making a batch of these delicious cupcakes! First the cupcakes themselves then the strawberry filling, whipped buttercream frosting, and lastly the crunch topping!
The cupcakes start off with a white box cake mix. From there all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, salt, water, sour cream, egg whites, heavy whipping cream, and vanilla extract are added to it.
Once the cupcakes have baked and fully cooled their centers are cored out to make room for the strawberry filling. This is made by combining diced fresh strawberries, strawberry jam, and honey.
After the cupcakes are filled they’re then covered in the sweet, homemade buttercream frosting. To make this you’ll need unsalted butter, shortening, powdered sugar, heavy whipping cream, and clear vanilla extract.
Now that the cupcakes have their centers filled and tops frosted it’s time to add the crunch topping! For the topping golden Oreos, strawberry Jell-O mix, and melted salted butter are needed.
How To Make Strawberry Crunch Cupcakes
- Whisk together the dry ingredients for the cupcakes in a large bowl. Then slowly mix in the water, sour cream, egg whites, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract.
- Spoon the cupcake mixture into the lined standard muffin tin.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Afterward, transfer them to a wire rack to cool.
- Stir together the chopped strawberries, strawberry jam, and honey in a medium bowl.
- Cut out the center of each cupcake and fill the hole with the strawberry filling. Next, place the top back on the cupcake.
- Mix the butter and shortening together until smooth to begin preparing the frosting. Then add in the milk and vanilla extract.
- Add in the powdered sugar slowly until the frosting reaches your desired consistency.
- Transfer the frosting to a pastry bag and pipe it onto the cupcakes.
- Pulse the Oreos in a food processor until fine crumbs form. Add in the strawberry Jell-O powder and melted butter until combined.
- Sprinkle the crunch topping over the cupcakes. Serve and enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
What Should I Do If My Frosting Is Too Thick?
That’s an easy fix! Simply add one teaspoon of milk at a time until you have reached your desired consistency.
If it’s the opposite and you find your frosting is too thin just mix in a little powdered sugar at a time.
Why Is There Sour Cream In This Cupcake Recipe?
Sour cream makes the cupcakes rich and creamier than your normal box cake. And not to worry – you can not taste the sour cream at all!
How Do I Store These Cupcakes?
You can store the leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days. With that being said, you could also make them a day ahead if you need to!
What Piping Tip Should I Use To Give These Cupcakes A Bakery-Style Look?
I’d suggest using either 2A, 1M, 6B, or 2D to achieve the bakery look.
Can I Just Use The Whole Egg Instead Of Just The Egg Whites?
Using only egg whites creates a light and fluffy cupcake. Which is one of the reasons these cupcakes are so delicious!
Simply save the yolk in an airtight container in the refrigerator to use in another recipe to save on waste!
What’s The Best Way To Cut Out The Centers Of The Cupcakes?
You can either use a cupcake corer or carefully use a paring knife.
Enjoying these Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes allows you all the delicious flavors of summer! Fill more desserts with juicy, fresh strawberries by making the recipes below!
- Strawberry Blondies – Sweet, fruity bars that bake up to perfection in just 25 minutes!
- Simple Strawberry Cake – Made with pantry staple ingredients in an hour!
- Strawberry Cheesecake Bars – An easy-to-serve dessert that everyone will love!
- Easy Strawberry Mousse Cups – Light and fluffy strawberry mousse served in a chocolate shell!
- Chocolate Covered Strawberries – Sweet, juicy berry dipped in melted chocolate!
Strawberry Shortcake CupcakesPin For Later
CLICK THE BUTTON ABOVE TO SAVE THIS DELICIOUS RECIPE TO YOUR BOARD!
👋 Let’s Connect!
If you’ve tried this recipe please let me know how you liked it in the comments below and leave a review, I love hearing from you! And don’t forget to tag me – @sugarandsoulco – on Instagram and Pinterest with your photos!
Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes
- 1 cup strawberries diced
- ⅓ cup strawberry jam
- 2 tablespoons honey
Whipped Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 5 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
- 5-6 cups powdered sugar
- 15 golden Oreos
- 3 tablespoons Strawberry Jello-O Mix unprepared
- 4 tablespoons salted butter melted
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line muffin pans with cupcake liners and set them aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together, cake mix, all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, and salt.1 white cake mix, 1 cup all-purpose flour, 1 cup granulated sugar, ½ teaspoon salt
- Slowly, add in water, sour cream, egg whites, heavy cream, and vanilla extract. Mix until everything has been combined.1 cup water, 1 cup sour cream, 4 large egg whites, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, ⅓ cup heavy cream
- Add batter into the lined cupcake pan, filling ⅔ full. About ¼ cup of batter.
- Bake in preheated oven for 18 to 22 minutes or until the center is baked.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool on a cooling rack.
- In a small bowl, mix together chopped strawberries, strawberry jam, and honey.1 cup strawberries, ⅓ cup strawberry jam, 2 tablespoons honey
- Core out the center of the cupcakes with a cupcake corer or teaspoon and fill them with strawberry filling. Add top back to the cupcake to hold filling in.
- While cupcakes are cooling, prepare the frosting. by creaming together the butter and shortening until smooth, about 3 minutes.1 cup unsalted butter, 1 cup vegetable shortening
- Add in heavy cream and vanilla extract.5 tablespoons heavy cream, 2 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
- Slowly, add in the powdered sugar a little at a time. If frosting is too thick you can add 1 teaspoon of cream until you have reached the texture, you are looking for. Mix frosting for another 3 minutes.5-6 cups powdered sugar
- Add frosting to a piping bag and pipe cupcakes.
- Add Oreos to a food processor and pulse until fine crumbs form.15 golden Oreos
- Add the strawberry jello powder and melted butter and pulse until combined. Sprinkle over the top of the frosted cupcakes.3 tablespoons Strawberry Jello-O Mix, 4 tablespoons salted butter
- What Should I Do If My Frosting Is Too Thick? That’s an easy fix! Simply add one teaspoon of milk at a time until you have reached your desired consistency. If it’s the opposite and you find your frosting is too thin just mix in a little powdered sugar at a time.
- Why Is There Sour Cream In This Cupcake Recipe? Sour cream makes the cupcakes rich and creamier than your normal box cake. And not to worry – you can not taste the sour cream at all!
- How Do I Store These Cupcakes? You can store the leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days. With that being said, you could also make them a day ahead if you need to!
- What Piping Tip Should I Use To Give These Cupcakes A Bakery-Style Look? I’d suggest using either 2A, 1M, 6B, or 2D to achieve the bakery look.
- Can I Just Use The Whole Egg Instead Of Just The Egg Whites? Using only egg whites creates a light and fluffy cupcake. Which is one of the reasons these cupcakes are so delicious! Simply save the yolk in an airtight container in the refrigerator to use in another recipe to save on waste!
- What’s The Best Way To Cut Out The Centers Of The Cupcakes? You can either use a cupcake corer or carefully use a paring knife.