This Yogurt Toast (aka Custard Toast) is a popular breakfast recipe that’s been popular on TikTok and is made with bread, egg, yogurt, maple syrup, vanilla, and toppings like berries and chocolate chips.
This dessert-like breakfast is prepped in just 5 minutes and can be cooked in either the oven (more even cook) or the air fryer (faster cook).
I love a good TikTok recipe and this Yogurt Toast is a fun Breakfast dish that’s whipped up in minutes with just and handful of ingredients!
The original inspiration for this recipe comes from TikToker @sweatspace who made Mixed Berry Custard Yoast and started the popular food trend!
What I Love About This Recipe
- Easy – Just a few minutes of prep and some ingredients you likely already have on hand stand between you and this yummy breakfast recipe.
- Customizable – There are so many ways to customize this recipe to your taste depending on what yogurt flavor you use and the toppings you choose. See some of my ideas below!
- Delicious – Sometimes custard dishes can be a lot because of the portion, but this recipe gives you that silky texture with a crisp crust in a way that isn’t too overwhelming. The sweetness can also be adapted to your personal tastes which is awesome!
- Recipe for One (or Two) – This recipe is designed to make two pieces of toast, so enjoy both or share with someone!
Bread: The base of this recipe is the toast itself. You want to make sure to use a thick bread that can be pressed down to create a well that’s deep enough to hold the custard mixture. I used Sara Lee Artesano Bread, but any thick and fluffy bread will do. Brioche would be delicious!
Egg: You can’t make custard without egg, this will help give the filling its creamy texture and will add protein.
Yogurt: Feel free to use plain, vanilla, or a flavored yogurt of your choice. Just make sure to use Greek yogurt or skyr to get the perfect creamy texture!
Sweetener: You can use maple syrup, honey, or agave syrup in this recipe. If using a flavored yogurt you may find that you don’t need the added sweetener.
Vanilla Extract: I highly recommend adding some vanilla extract if you’re using plain yogurt, but you could omit it if you’re using a flavored or sweetened yogurt.
Toppings: You can leave the custard plain and bake the toast up or you can add even more flavor but popping on some fruit (fresh or frozen will work) or chocolate chips. You could drizzle melted nut butter over the top after it cooks. I also like dusting mine with a bit of powdered sugar before enjoying it.
Want to add even more flavor? Add a 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon or use vanilla bean paste in place of vanilla extract.
How To Make Custard Toast
Step 1: In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, yogurt, maple syrup, and vanilla.
Step 2: Place the slices of bread on a small baking sheet. Use the back of a fork or spoon to make a well in your bread by pressing down the center and leaving a border.
Step 3: Evenly divide the custard mixture between the slices of bread.
Step 4: Add fruit or chocolate chips if using – be careful not to go too heavy on the toppings of the custard can overflow. Bake in the oven or air fryer until the edges are crisp and the custard has set.
Keep a close eye on your toast as it cooks. Air fryers cook pretty fast so even 1 minute can make a big difference. An oven will take longer and the toast will have a more even, less golden appearance when done, just make sure the center isn’t too jiggly and you’re good to go.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Use Dairy Free Yogurt?
I have not tested this recipe with any dairy-free alternatives so I can’t say how it would turn out.
Can I Make This In Advance?
You could prepare the custard mixture in advance and store it in the refrigerator until ready to use, however, I wouldn’t add it to the bread and cook it until just before you’re ready to enjoy it.
Can I Use Regular Sugar In This Recipe?
Yes, either granulated or brown sugar will also work as a sweetened in this recipe.
More TikTok Recipes
If you love trying out new food trends, then these recipes are definitely worth making!
- Twisted Bacon – Just 1 ingredient, but a fun new cooking method that makes the best bacon ever!
- Smoked Queso Dip – Perfect for game days, parties, and more – everyone loves this easy dip recipe!
- Uncrustables Donuts – Another fun dessert for breakfast idea!
👋 Let’s Connect!
If you’ve tried this recipe, please let me know how you liked it in the comments below and leave a review; I love hearing from you! And don’t forget to tag me – @sugarandsoulco – on Instagram and Pinterest with your photos or join our Sugar & Soul Show-offs Community and share them there, where you can join our recipe challenges and win prizes!
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup or honey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 slices bread see notes
- berries fresh or frozen, optional topping
- chocolate chips optional topping
- powdered sugar optional topping
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. There's no need to preheat if using an air fryer.
- In a small bowl, beat together the egg, yogurt, syrup, and vanilla until combined.
- Place the slices of bread on a small baking sheet and use the back of a spoon or fork to indent the center of the bread, leaving a 1/2-inch border around the edges.
- Spoon the custard mixture into the wells of the bread and then top with berries or chocolate chips.
- Oven: Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until the custard is set and the edges of the toast are crisp.
- Air Fryer: Air Fry at 350°F for 6 minutes. Cook for additional 1-minute increments until the custard has set. Cook time can vary depending on the air fryer.
- Dust with powdered sugar if desired and enjoy.
- Feel free to use vanilla or fruit-flavored yogurt – but Greek is key to that thick custard-like texture.
- Vanilla extract can be omitted if using a flavored yogurt.
- Honey or agave can be substituted for maple syrup.
- You could prepare the custard mixture in advance and store it in the refrigerator until ready to use, however, I wouldn’t add it to the bread and cook it until just before you’re ready to enjoy it.
- The base of this recipe is the toast itself. You want to make sure to use a thick bread that can be pressed down to create a well that’s deep enough to hold the custard mixture. I used Sara Lee Artesano Bread, but any thick and fluffy bread will do. Brioche would be delicious!
- Feel free to add a 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon to the filling.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Don’t forget to share it with me on Instagram @sugarandsoulco and follow on Tiktok @sugarandsoulco and Pinterest @sugarandsoulco for more!
Leave A Reply!