This homemade Blueberry Cake is a simple single-layer snack cake loaded with juicy blueberries, you’ll want to keep this easy recipe on hand for all your summer gatherings.
Not only is it a light and fruity dessert, but this is also a great recipe for using your fresh-picked blueberries from the season. Keep reading to see how you can make Lemon Blueberry Cake and use frozen blueberries too!
Blueberry Cake is one of my favorite cake recipes to make when the weather warms up.
For the record, there’s no wrong time to savor a piece of this scrumptious cake. Barbecues, cookouts, graduation parties, Fourth of July, and even breakfast … Blueberry Cake is perfect for all occasions!
What Is Blueberry Cake?
This Blueberry Cake Recipe consists of sweet, scratch-made cake loaded with juicy blueberries. Blueberry Snack Cake makes for a tasty afternoon pick-me-up as well as a light seasonal dessert. Try serving it with additional toppings for even more of a treat! (More below.)
While you can eat this cake warm, I think it tastes best at room temperature. This makes it more enjoyable on a hot day — especially with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
How Do You Make Blueberry Cake?
1. Begin by preheating the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and line an 8 or 9-inch round cake pan with parchment paper and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, 1 cup sugar, and salt. Reserve about 2 tablespoons of the flour mixture to a medium-sized bowl and set it aside.
3. Next, whisk in the melted butter, eggs, almond, and vanilla extracts into the dry ingredients.
4. Add the blueberries to the medium bowl with the reserved flour and toss to coat. DO NOT skip this step, tossing the blueberries in flour prevents them from sinking to the bottom of the cake while it’s baking.
5. Then fold them into the batter.
6. Add the batter to the prepared cake pan and spread until evenly distributed. Then, top the batter with a few extra blueberries and sprinkles with 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar.
7. Baked for 40 to 50 minutes or until a cake tester or toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool for 10 minutes before serving.
*Baking time will vary depending on the size of the cake pan. A 9-inch pan should bake within 45 minutes, but an 8-inch pan will take a few minutes longer.
How To Make Lemon Blueberry Cake:
Omit the almond extract and add in 1 tablespoon of lemon zest and 3 tablespoons of lemon juice.
What Can You Serve Blueberry Cake With?
If you’re in need of some extra indulgence, you can serve this cake with some decadent additions. These can include:
- Powdered sugar
- Cream cheese frosting
- Cream Cheese Whipped Cream
- Vanilla ice cream
- Homemade Whipped Cream
- Vanilla Icing
Can I Use Frozen Blueberries?
While this delicious recipe is the perfect way to use up fresh blueberries, frozen blueberries work, too. But there’s an extra step involved if you don’t want your berries to bleed into the cake a make it look green.
Add the frozen blueberries to a strainer and run them under cold water until the water runs clear, then gently pat dry with a paper towel and use as you would use fresh blueberries.
How Long Does Blueberry Cake Stay Good For?
Any leftover Blueberry Cake should keep covered on the counter for a few days. However, if the weather is really hot, you may want to cover it and keep it in the refrigerator.
Can You Freeze Blueberry Cake?
Yes! You can freeze Blueberry Cake for a couple of months and take it out when you need a last-minute dessert.
Simply bake and allow to cool completely before wrapping it in plastic wrap and storing in a freezer bag (these 2-gallon bags are great for cakes).
When you’re ready to eat it, pull it out of the freezer and thaw in the fridge or on the counter for 12 hours before you plan on serving.
This cake has a fluffy but dense texture, much like a Blueberry Muffin and would be a perfect addition to a brunch spread!
If this classic summertime treat isn’t already a staple in your family, it will be. Make this Blueberry Cake Recipe for your next gathering, and watch it disappear!
More Delicious Blueberry Recipes:
Click the button above to save this delicious recipe to your board!
I created a fun little group on facebook and I’d love for you to join in! It’s a place where you can ask questions and see what’s new with Sugar & Soul! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #sugarandsoulco so I can see all the wonderful recipes YOU make from this site! You can also Subscribe to my Newsletter so you never miss a delicious recipe again!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and line 8 or 9-inch round cake pan with parchment paper (like this) and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, 1 cup sugar, and salt. Reserve about 2 tablespoons of the flour mixture to a medium-sized bowl and set it aside.
- Whisk in the melted butter, eggs, and extracts into the flour and sugar mixture.
- Add the blueberries to the medium bowl with the reserved flour and toss to coat. DO NOT skip this step, tossing the blueberries in flour prevents them from sinking to the bottom of the cake while it's baking. Then fold them into the batter.
- Add the batter to the prepared cake pan and spread until evenly distributed. Top the batter with a few extra blueberries and sprinkles with 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar.
- Baked for 40 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick or cake tester comes clean from the center of the cake. Allow the cake to cool for 10 minutes before serving. Serve with ice cream or icing.
- To Make Lemon Blueberry Cake: Omit the almond extract and add in 1 tablespoon of lemon zest and 3 tablespoons of lemon juice.
Share your thoughts!
Love this recipe? Share your thoughts with me below and leave a review! And don’t forget to connect on your favorite social platform below!