Chocolate Eclair Cake is a no-bake, icebox cake that’s made with layers of graham crackers, vanilla cream, and homemade chocolate ganache! Prep this chilled dessert in just 20 minutes!
Icebox cakes are such an easy-to-make treat that I can always count on being a hit with everyone! My Ritz Cracker Grape Jelly Icebox Cake is another go-to that’s as well-loved as this Eclair Cake!
This Chocolate Eclair Cake is a welcomed dessert to cool down with as the days begin to usher in more of that warm sunshine we’ve all been craving! It’s made with layers of graham crackers, a cool, creamy homemade vanilla filling, and then topped with smooth chocolate ganache!
Though the flavor of this cake does closely resemble an Eclair nothing beats the real deal that’s found in my authentic Chocolate Eclairs with Vanilla Bean Pastry Cream! But this cake is still absolutely delicious and will definitely have a permanent spot on my go-to desserts!
What Is An Icebox Cake?
An icebox cake is a layered, chilled, no-bake dessert. They’re typically made with layers of cookies or wafers and some type of cream filling. In this recipe, we use graham crackers and an easy 3 ingredient vanilla filling!
Why This Recipe Works!
- Toppings! Garnish this dessert with delicious toppings such as a drizzle of white chocolate, whipped cream, or fresh raspberries or strawberries!
- Change The Flavor! Try swapping out the vanilla pudding for cheesecake pudding or even French vanilla! Just be sure to grab a box of instant pudding mix if you make the swap.
- Lighter Option! That’s right, you can still enjoy this icebox cake even if you’re in a need of a version with fewer calories! Scroll on down for the easy instructions on how to do just that!
- Great For Parties! A 9×13 dish of this Eclair Cake serves up 16 slices! Great for those large gatherings and parties!
- Make It Ahead! This recipe calls for plenty of chill time, making it the perfect treat to make the night before you need it! Then simply grab it from the fridge the next day on your way to the potluck or picnic!
Making this Eclair Cake Recipe takes just 20 minutes of prep time using minimal ingredients. To start you’ll need graham crackers, these are used to separate the creamy vanilla layers.
Next, instant vanilla pudding mix combine with whole milk and whipped topping to create that smooth vanilla filling. Once the layers of graham crackers and vanilla filling are assembled in the baking dish you’ll move on to the ganache topping.
This 4 ingredient recipe is so easy to make yet really brings in that true Eclair flavor! For the ganache topping, semi-sweet chocolate chips combine with heavy cream, light corn syrup, and vanilla extract.
How To Make Eclair Icebox Cake
- Mix the instant vanilla pudding and milk together in a large bowl using a hand mixer or whisk.
- Fold in the thawed whipped topping.
- Arrange the graham crackers onto the bottom of a baking pan.
- Spread half of the pudding mixture onto the graham crackers. Then top the pudding layer with another layer of graham crackers.
- Spread the remaining pudding mixture over the second layer of graham crackers. Afterward, cover this final pudding layer with the final layer of graham crackers.
- Combine the ganache ingredients and microwave them until smooth. Allow it to cool and then pour it over the Eclair Cake.
- Smooth out the chocolate ganache topping using a spatula.
- Cover the cake and then transfer it to the fridge to allow it to chill before enjoying!
Frequently Asked Questions
How Should I Store This No Bake Eclair Cake?
Cover this icebox cake and store it in the fridge. Then enjoy it for up to 5 days! You can even freeze it as well! Just cover it tightly and then freeze it for up to 2 months.
Allow the icebox cake to thaw overnight in the refrigerator before enjoying it.
How Do I Make This Eclair Cake Lighter In Calories?
Simple! Just grab a sugar-free instant pudding, light frozen whipped topping, and low-fat graham crackers. Then just swap the ganache out for a light chocolate frosting.
What Other Variations Could I Make?
To make a Chocolate Eclair Cake variation just use chocolate pudding instead of vanilla! Or you could make a delicious banana variation by using banana pudding and then adding some sliced bananas.
Can I Make The Ganache Without Corn Syrup?
You actually can! The corn syrup just keeps the ganache topping smooth and shiny.
Is There Something Else I Can Use Instead Of Ganache?
Yes! Feel free to use a thick fudge sauce or chocolate frosting in place of the ganache.
Would Whipped Cream Work In This No Bake Recipe?
It would, but keep in mind that the cream layer just may not last quite as long by doing so.
To make whipped cream use 1 1/2 cups of heavy cream and whip it until peaks form. Then beat in 1 tablespoon of powdered sugar. This will help to stabilize the whipped cream so that it doesn’t turn runny as quickly.
What Else Can I Use Instead Of Graham Crackers?
You could swap out the graham crackers for vanilla wafers or digestive biscuits!
This Eclair Icebox Cake makes the warm, sticky days much more enjoyable! Tuck another tasty dessert recipe away to enjoy and cool down with when the temperature is on the rise!
- Chocolate Milkshake – Perfectly thick and rich shakes that are made with only 2 ingredients in just 5 minutes!
- Snickers Salad – Whip up this 5-minute dessert that’s made with only cool whip, apples, bananas, and snickers!
- Weight Watchers Skinny Ice Cream Cake – A dessert that cuts down on calories but not flavor!
- No Churn Vanilla Ice Cream – Creamy, rich homemade ice cream that doesn’t require an ice cream maker!
- Easy Rainbow Jello Poke Cake – This light, fun dessert is made with a boxed white cake mix, jello mix, and whipped topping!
Eclair Icebox CakePin For Later
CLICK THE BUTTON ABOVE TO SAVE THIS DELICIOUS RECIPE TO YOUR BOARD!
👋 Let’s Connect!
If you’ve tried this recipe please let me know how you liked it in the comments below and leave a review, I love hearing from you! And don’t forget to tag me – @sugarandsoulco – on Instagram and Pinterest with your photos!
No Bake Chocolate Eclair Cake
- Hand mixer
- 9×13-inch baking dish
- Measuring cup
- Measuring spoons
- Microwave safe bowl
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 2 Tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place instant vanilla pudding and milk into a large bowl. Use a hand mixer (or whisk) to mix this together well.
- Fold in the thawed whipped topping.
- Cover the bottom of a 9X13 baking dish with graham crackers. Break them as necessary to completely cover the bottom. (Each layer should use about 1 sleeve of the graham crackers.)
- Spread half of the pudding mixture evenly over this layer of crackers.
- Use another sleeve of graham crackers to create another layer.
- Spread the other half of the pudding mixture evenly over this layer of crackers.
- Use the last sleeve of graham crackers to cover the pudding mixture.
- Place chocolate chips, heavy cream, corn syrup, and vanilla into a medium sized microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 1 minute. Stir. Continue cooking for 30 seconds at a time. Stirring each time. Once you are able to stir it smooth, allow it to cool for a few minutes. Then pour it over the eclair cake. Smooth the top with a spatula.
- Cover the cake and place it in the refrigerator. It must chill for at least 8 hours. Overnight is preferable.
- Storage Instructions: Cover the eclair icebox cake and store it in the fridge for up to 5 days. Or, you may freeze it for up to 2 months. Allow it to thaw overnight in the fridge before serving.
- I don’t care for graham crackers – is there an alternative? Yes, you could use vanilla wafers or digestive biscuits.
- How could I make this recipe “lighter” in calories? You could use sugar-free instant pudding, light frozen whipped topping, and low-fat graham crackers. Instead of the ganache, you could use light chocolate frosting.
- I don’t like to use cool whip – will whipped cream work in this recipe? Yes, but the cream layer may not last quite as long. You will use 1 ½ cups of heavy cream. Whip it until peaks form. Add 1 Tablespoon of confectioner’s sugar and beat that in. That will help to stabilize the whip cream so it doesn’t turn runny as quickly.
- Can I use other flavors of pudding? Yes! Make sure you only use instant (not the kind that needs to be cooked). French vanilla or cheesecake flavors are especially nice in this recipe. You could also use chocolate pudding to create a chocolate eclair cake. Or use banana pudding and add some sliced bananas.
- I don’t have the ingredient for the ganache – is there something else I could substitute? Yes, you could use a thick fudge sauce or chocolate frosting. If you are just missing the corn syrup, that may be left out. It just helps keep the topping smooth and shiny.
- What would be a nice garnish with this dessert? You could drizzle white chocolate on top, add a dollop of whipped cream, or place fresh raspberries or strawberries on the side.