This Rainbow Jello Poke Cake is easily made using a boxed white cake mix and jello to create a fun, light dessert filled with vibrant colors!
This Rainbow Poke Cake deliciously rises to the occasion to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day! You can even cover it with gold sprinkles or gold coins to add another level of fun!
Don’t stop serving this dessert in March though! You can easily enjoy this for birthdays, rainbow, or unicorn themed parties, and even welcoming a special rainbow baby into the family!
Why I Love This Recipe!
- Easy Ingredients! The store bought cake mix and jello mixes make for an easy recipe without a ton of ingredients!
- Endless Variations! Swap around the flavors of jello and combine with fresh fruit for more fun ways to serve this jello poke cake! Scroll to the bottom for more variations!
- Kids Love It! This dessert is overflowing with fun colors, making for an exciting treat that all of the kids will love!
- Inexpensive! Grabbing a cake mix and jello from store and pairing them with ingredients you likely have at home make for an inexpensive dessert!
Rainbow Jello Poke Cake Ingredients
This rainbow colored dessert has a layer of cake that’s made out of white cake mix, water, vegetable oil, and eggs. To bring the colors to life you’ll need boiling water and four boxes of jello mix.
For this recipe I used strawberry, lemon, blue raspberry, and lime jello. Feel free to choose whatever colors or flavors of jello you and your family like though!
Want to skip the fruity flavors? Make a traditional poke cake using sweetened condensed milk and divide it into bowls and color with food color to get a similar look with a sweet vanilla flavor.
How To Make Rainbow Jello Poke Cake
- Mix together the cake mix, water, vegetable oil, and eggs in a large bowl.
- Bake the cake and then allow it to cool to room temperature. Then poke holes all over the cake using the handle of a wooden spoon.
- Prepare each jello mix with a cup of boiling water in four separate bowls.
- Fill the holes by carefully pouring the jello over the cake, alternating colors until each hole has been filled. Then place the cake in the refrigerator to chill.
- Spread the cool whip all over the cooled cake. If desired, top with sprinkles, fresh fruit, or a crumb coat of your favorite crushed cookies!
Jello Poke Cake Variations
You can easily make so many tasty and fun variations of this Rainbow Jello Poke Cake! Just simply swap around the flavors of jello you use, here are some ideas to get you started!
- Use only strawberry jello and then cover the whipped topping with cut-up fresh strawberries!
- For a Raspberry flavored poke cake use only raspberry Jello and top with fresh raspberries!
- Try an orange variation with orange jello and then cover the poke cake with mandarin oranges!
- Enjoy a cherry poke cake by using cherry jello and then garnishing the cake with cherries!
As you can see, the options are pretty much endless when it comes to playing around with new jello poke cake ideas!
How To Store
Store this Rainbow Cake tightly covered with plastic wrap for 2 to 3 days in the refrigerator.
Can I Use A Round Cake Pan?
Yes, just make sure to alter the cooking time when baking. Depending on the size of your round cake pan you may be able to divide the batter and make two!
Poke cakes are such an easy dessert to whip up when you’re craving something moist and sweet! Easily make another one of my great poke cake recipes that are all made with a boxed cake mix!
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Poke Cake – An adapted box cake recipe topped with Chocolate Ganache and Peanut Butter Frosting!
- Easy Oreo Poke Cake Recipe – A rich, chocolaty treat that’s overflowing with Oreo flavor in every layer!
- Mocha Poke Cake – Perfectly moist and tender cake topped with an incredible whipped coffee frosting!
- Caramel Carrot Cake Poke Cake – Soaked in sweetened condensed milk, covered in whipped frosting, and finished off with caramel sauce!
- Coconut Poke Cake – Loaded with sweet coconut flavor making it the perfect springtime dessert!
Click the button above to save this delicious recipe to your board!
👋 Let’s Connect!
If you’ve tried this recipe please let me know how you liked it in the comments below and leave a review, I love hearing from you! And don’t forget to tag me – @sugarandsoulco – on Instagram and Pinterest with your photos!
Rainbow Poke Cake
- 1 box white cake mix
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 4 cups boiling water divided
- 1 (3 oz.) box strawberry jello mix
- 1 (3 oz.) box lemon jello mix
- 1 (3 oz.) box blue raspberry jello mix
- 1 (3 oz.) box lime jello mix
- 1 (8 oz.) tub whipped topping thawed
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease a 9×13-inch cake pan with a nonstick spray and Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, water, vegetable oil, and eggs and mix until combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool for about 30 minutes, then using the handle of a wooden spoon poke holes over each inch of the cake and set aside.
- In four small bowls, combine each jello package with 1 cup of boiling water. Whisk together until the jello has dissolved.
- Use a tablespoon to pour the jello mixtures into the holes in cake, alternating colors according to preference until each hole has been filled. Do not use all of the jello, about ¼-⅓ cup of each should be used.
- Place the cake in the refrigerator and let it chill for 2 hours so the jello sets.
- Spread the whipped topping over the cooled cake and top with sprinkles if desired before serving.
- Want to skip the fruity flavors? Make a traditional poke cake using sweetened condensed milk and divide it into bowls and color with food color to get a similar look with a sweet vanilla flavor.
- Store this Rainbow Cake tightly covered with plastic wrap for 2 to 3 days in the refrigerator.