Good Morning, Everyone! I’m so excited to be welcoming Miss Tiffany from Pics and Pastries as a contributor here on Living Better Together. Tiffany will be posting every second Wednesday of the month here on the blog, starting today with these Lemon Strawberry Ice Cream Bars- A sweet and sour way to refresh yourself on a hot summer day. I know that you’re going to love Tiffany’s blog as much as I do and that we’re going to have a bright and delicious future together! Don’t forget to follow Tiffany on social media so you never miss out on one of her killer recipes!
Hi, everyone! I’m Tiffany and I’m so happy to be here as a blog contributor for Rebecca! Rebecca’s blog is jam-packed with yummy looking food and with that, I hope to add to her collection. I blog over at picsandpastries.com. My blog is packed with recipes and little random tidbits about what’s going on in mine and my husband’s life. My husband, Jason and I recently moved to Louisville, KY. I love photography, cooking and baking.
Today’s recipe is a simple and refreshing one. I have been on a lemon kick this summer and I don’t think it will end anytime soon. My other most recent lemon recipe is these lemon cupcakes. If you like lemon, and I mean really like lemon then you will love these ice cream bars.
These lemon strawberry ice cream bars are packed full of lemon flavor. The base is a delicious graham cracker crust and I used this tool to help pack the crust in. It’s a game changer, folks!
Since I made the lemon curd I decided to buy the strawberry ice cream. I guess it’s a semi-homemade dessert. 🙂 I scooped the ice cream while it was frozen onto the graham cracker crust. I waited several minutes for it to soften and then I used a spatula to spread it all over the crust.
I placed the whole pan back in the freezer and waited for the ice cream to firm up again before adding the cooled lemon curd. Obviously, you can use store bought lemon curd if that’s what you prefer. Or, you could not use it at all if you’re not obsessed with lemon flavored desserts right now. AHEM!
Lemon Strawberry Ice Cream Bars
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice I used about 6 large lemons
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
For the bars:
- Approximately 7 graham crackers crushed
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- Half a 1.5 quart of strawberry ice cream
- Powdered sugar
- Combine the egg yolks, sugar, and lemon juice in a medium saucepan and cook over medium heat.
- Whisk until the mixture thickens, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in the butter, 1 piece at a time.
- Continue cooking until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of the spoon.
- About 5-7 minutes,
- Pour mixture into a bowl but by using a fine-mesh sieve. This helps to collect any pulp.
- Stir in the lemon zest and salt and let cool completely.
- Stir occasionally.
For the Bars:
- Spray an 8x8 inch baking dish with cooking spray and then line with aluminum foil.
- Combine graham crackers in a food processor and pulse until they are finely crumbled.
- Add the melted butter and lemon zest and pulse again until all combined.
- Transfer to the baking dish and pack tightly into the pan.
- Spread ice cream over crumb mixture and place back in freezer for just a few minutes to help it firm up, but not completely. Only if the lemon curd has cooled then pour over the ice cream. If it's not cooled then keep the ice cream in the freezer and it's fine if it freezes again.
- Once the lemon curd has been poured over the ice cream then place back in the freezer for at least four hours.
- Before serving cut into squares and dust with powdered sugar.
I hope you enjoyed today’s recipe. I’d love for you to hop over and see some of my other dishes that I’ve shared!