This Maine Lobster Roll tucks tender, delicate lobster meat that’s coated in extra heavy mayo into a toasted buttery split top roll! The classic Maine meal everyone devours all Summer long!
Traditionally enjoyed with a bag of potato chips or some golden-brown, crunchy Homemade French Fries!
Now you don’t have to be sitting on the coast to take a bite into the iconic Maine Lobster Roll! This simple recipe allows you to enjoy it from anywhere as long as you have some fresh lobster meat!
This mouthwatering recipe is from Bite Into Maine, one of the most popular spots to grab a lobster roll in the state! So, you can definitely count on it being incredibly delicious!
All About The Maine Lobster Roll
Taste: This Lobster Roll Recipe is purposely made to be simple to allow the lobster meat to truly shine! In it all you’ll find is lobster meat and extra heavy mayo with a sprinkle of fresh minced chives.
All that goodness is then tucked into a toasted, buttery roll! Giving you the total Maine experience when biting into your roll!
Texture: Cool and creamy, tender lobster salad meets a warm, toasted bun with a soft inside! Giving you not only a tasty meal but one that checks all the boxes on satisfying textures as well!
Classic Maine Lobster Roll vs. A Connecticut Style Lobster Roll
If you’re a fan of Lobster Rolls and have traveled up to New England before then you may have noticed that Connecticut and Maine do lobster rolls differently.
As you can see Maine-style lobster rolls coats the tender, delicate meat in extra heavy mayonnaise. Whereas Connecticut-style rolls skip the mayo and head right to the butter!
That’s right! Their split top rolls are stuffed with warm lobster meat that’s drenched in melted butter. Giving you a totally different experience than your Classic Maine Lobster Roll.
We’ll let you decide which is better!
You can find our Shrimp either dipped in Homemade Shrimp Cocktail Sauce or tucked onto a hearty plate of Shrimp Alfredo Pasta! Or we even enjoy it coated in crispy breading like in my Crispy Air Fryer Shrimp Recipe!
And I can’t not mention our deep love for a heaping portion of crispy Fish & Chips!
Helpful Tips To Make The Most Delicious Lobster Roll
- If you’ve never cooked Fresh Lobster before then check out my blog post on How To Steam Lobster! This also includes helpful tips and tricks to get the meat out of the shell quickly and easily!
- The goal is to serve these Lobster Rolls with a warm, buttery roll and cool creamy lobster meat. To accomplish this, make sure the meat and mayonnaise are both nice and cold. Once the lobster salad mixture is mixed together, store it in the refrigerator so it continues to chill. Then toast the rolls and stuff them with the cold lobster meat mixture immediately.
- When removing the lobster meat from its shell be on the lookout for bits of shell. We don’t want anything crunchy and hard in our Lobster Rolls!
- For a classic Maine seafood presentation keep the claw meat as intact as possible when removing it from the shell.
- Don’t skip out on the extra heavy mayonnaise! Extra heavy mayonnaise is made with extra yolks, allowing the mayo to coat the lobster meat much better.
- Garnishes! This recipe is garnished with chives. However, other popular options include adding a bed of lettuce to the roll or mixing in some chopped-up celery.
Store the lobster salad mixture in an airtight container and place it in the refrigerator. Enjoy the leftovers for up to 3 to 4 days.
What Is A Split-Top Roll?
A split top roll is the New England-style of hot dog buns. If you don’t have any in your area you can easily make a substitute!
Just grab whatever rolls that are available to you. Then slice the sides flat on each side to create a greater grilling surface.
How Many Lobster Rolls Does This Recipe Make?
This will depend on how full you stuff the Lobster Rolls. I aim to make each roll with about 4 ounces of lobster salad mixture, yielding 4 lobster Rolls.
Maine Lobster RollPin For Later
CLICK THE BUTTON ABOVE TO SAVE THIS DELICIOUS RECIPE TO YOUR BOARD!
👋 Let’s Connect!
If you’ve tried this recipe please let me know how you liked it in the comments below and leave a review, I love hearing from you! And don’t forget to tag me – @sugarandsoulco – on Instagram and Pinterest with your photos!
Classic Maine Lobster Roll
- Cut and tear the lobster meat into large chunks, closely checking for bits of shell. Keep the claws as intact as possible for the best presentation.1 pound cooked lobster meat
- Add the lobster meat and mayonnaise to a large bowl and stir until evenly coated.2 tablespoons extra heavy mayonnaise
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Generously spread the softened butter on both sides of the hot dog rolls and place them in the skillet. Toast each side until golden-brown, using more butter as needed.2 tablespoons salted butter, 4 New England-style hot dog rolls
- Fill each roll with about 4 ounces of the lobster mixture. Garnish with chives. Serve with a lemon wedge, which can also be squeezed on top. Season with salt and pepper if desired and serve immediately.Minced fresh chives, ½ lemon, Salt, Ground black pepper
- New England-style hot dog rolls are split-top rolls with flat sides. If you are unable to find them in your area, try using another roll and slicing the sides flat for a greater grilling surface.
- Extra-heavy mayonnaise is made with extra yolks.
- Chilling the mayo will allow it to coat the lobster better.
Recipe from Bite Into Maine.