These Billionaire Bars are made with 5 glorious layers of RICH and DECADENT sugary favorites! Shortbread, brownie, caramel, chocolate, and peanut butter frosting combine for the ultimate dessert bar! Everyone will be begging you for the recipe!
These Billionaire Bars need to happen ASAP! Like legit, you need to go make them right now, they are THAT good!
Most everyone has heard of Millionaire Bars or Million Dollar Bars, they’re basically homemade Twix with layers of shortbread cookie, caramel, and chocolate. I’ve decided to crank that up a notch and add in two extra layers to make these Billionaire Bars!
A layer of brownie and a layer of peanut butter frosting make these the most heavenly thing to come out of my kitchen since The Croissookie!
My husband and I joke that the Billionaire title really comes from the fact that there are probably about a billion calories in one pan of these babies, and though it’s not that extreme, there is a whole pound of butter in them! But they’re worth EVERY calorie!
Five Scrumptious Layers
Though this dessert is made with 5 layers they’re all actually really quick and easy to make! To maintain the element of ease in this recipe each layer is made with just 5 ingredients or less!
The first layer to hit the prepared baking pan is the shortbread dough that’s topped with a mixed up storebought brownie mix. After these two layers are baked, they’re smothered with a sticky, sweet caramel topping.
Once the caramel layer has stiffened up it’s then covered in the fourth layer, smooth melted chocolate! Coming in for the grand finale on these Billionaire Bars is the fifth and final layer, creamy, heavenly homemade peanut butter frosting!
After all five layers are assembled in the pan it’s time to take your first bite into a Billionaire Bar!
How To Make Billionaire Bars
- Shortbread – Cream the butter and sugar together and then add in the remaining ingredients for this layer. Once the dough begins to pull away from the sides of the mixing bowl it’s time to transfer and press down the dough into the prepared dish.
- Brownies – Combine the brownie mix with the ingredients the box calls for. Afterward, evenly pour the brownie batter over the shortbread layer and bake.
- Caramel -Melt the caramels with heavy cream while stirring constantly. Then pour the smooth caramel sauce evenly over the baked brownie layer. The three layers will then chill in the fridge.
- Chocolate – Combine the chocolate chips and butter in a microwave safe bowl and heat on intervals until melted. Pour the melted chocolate over the caramel layer. Be sure to work quickly as the chocolate will harden fast since the caramel layer is cooled from chilling.
- Peanut Butter Frosting – Whip up the peanut butter frosting and then spread it over the hardened chocolate layer. Sprinkle the creamy peanut butter layer with chocolate sprinkles!
How To Store Billionaire Bars
Store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. They may be left at room temperature but should be consumed within a couple of days.
What Kind Of Brownie Mix Should I Use?
You can use your favorite kind, but I recommend keeping it simple. Avoid using one with too many chocolate chips or extra sauces. You can also use your favorite Homemade Brownie Recipe!
You could do the frosting layer on top of the cooled caramel and then a layer of the chocolate or a rich Chocolate Ganache on top of that if preferred!
These bars can be served slightly underdone for a gooey texture or baked a bit longer for a firmer texture. The shortbread and brownie layers are very forgiving and can be baked for up to 45 minutes.
More Dessert Recipes
- Chocolate Ganache
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- Earl Grey Shortbread Cookies
- Salted Chocolate Chunk Shortbread Cookies
👋 Let’s Connect!
If you’ve tried this recipe, please let me know how you liked it in the comments below and leave a review. I love hearing from you!
Don’t forget to tag me – @sugarandsoulco – on Instagram and Pinterest with your photos or join our Sugar & Soul Show-offs Community and share them there, where you can join our recipe challenges!
This recipe was originally published in February 2016 and was updated in August 2022 with fresh images and updated text.
- Fudge Brownie Box Mix
- Additional ingredients required on back of box eggs, water, oil
- 1 cup 60% bittersweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
Peanut Butter Frosting:
- ½ batch Peanut Butter Frosting
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a 9×13-inch baking dish with aluminum foil and set aside.
- In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar. Add in the flour, corn starch, and salt, beating slowly at first then increasing to medium-high speed for 3 to 4 minutes until the dough pulls away from the sides of the mixing bowl and is no longer crumbly.1½ cups unsalted butter, ¾ cup granulated sugar, 3 cups all-purpose flour, ½ cup corn starch, 1 teaspoon salt
- Press dough evenly into the prepared baking dish and set aside.
- Mix brownie ingredients together according to package instructions and pour over the shortbread dough, spreading out evenly. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes.Fudge Brownie Box Mix, Additional ingredients required on back of box
- When the cookie/brownie layer is about 10 minutes from being done, add the caramels and the heavy cream to a small saucepan and melt over medium heat, stirring constantly until candies are completely melted.10 ounces chewy caramels, 3 tablespoon heavy cream
- Remove the cookie/brownie layer from the oven when ready and pour the caramel sauce evenly over the brownie layer. Chill in the fridge for 1 to 2 hours until caramel is stiff to the touch.
- Once caramel layer has set, add chocolate chips and butter to a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 30-second intervals until melted, stirring between each one. It usually takes 1 minute. Quickly pour over the caramel and use the back of a spoon to spread out in an even layer. Because the caramel is cold the chocolate will stiffen fast, so your need to work fast here.1 cup 60% bittersweet chocolate chips, 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
Peanut Butter Frosting:
- Make a half batch of my Peanut Butter Frosting and evenly spread it out over the top of the hardened chocolate layer. Sprinkle with chocolate sprinkles.½ batch Peanut Butter Frosting, Chocolate sprinkles
- Gently lift the bars out of the pan by gripping the aluminum foil, I recommend picking one side of the bars to lift up while sliding the baking dish in the opposite direction so your bars are always close to the counter.
- Use a sharp knife to cut into squares for serving.
- A stand mixer with a paddle attachment is necessary for the shortbread dough or it may never come together.
- These bars can be served slightly underdone for a gooey texture or baked a bit longer for a firmer texture. The shortbread and brownie layers are very forgiving and can be baked for up to 45 minutes.
- You can use your favorite kind, but I recommend keeping it simple. Avoid using one with too many chocolate chips or extra sauces. You can also use your favorite Homemade Brownie Recipe!