A Classic Vanilla Buttercream Frosting that’s made with just 5-ingredients and crusts to perfection!
Matt is always getting on me because I don’t have enough “mundane” recipes on the blog. I think what he’s trying to tell me is that sometimes I forget that not everyone is a food blogger and spends 5 minutes frosting one cupcake. But the recipes in which he refers to as “mundane” are anything but! They’re classics, and they’re classics for a reason. No matter how crazy we get with our flavors here in the food blogging world, very few of those recipes will be as widely loved and cherished like a classic sugar cookie or your grandma’s banana bread.
So in an effort to bring your more basics and more classics, and as a prep for a recipe for the Maine State Treat coming at you on Saturday, I bring you: VANILLA BUTTERCREAM! That’s right, a basic, no fuss, perfectly crusting, buttercream. It’s whipped to perfection and just the thing for frosting cakes and cupcakes, filling whoopie pies and what ever else your heart desires. You know, like licking the beaters. You won’t find any raw egg whites up in this recipe, just butter, sugar, cream, vanilla and salt. That’s it! 5 simple ingredients for a frosting that’s sure to bring back that feel of mom’s kitchen!
American Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened to room temp
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream butter on low speed until pale and creamy.1 cup unsalted butter
- Slowly add in 3 cups of powdered sugar and 3 tablespoons of heavy cream a little at a time, alternating between each, while mixing on low over the course of about 3 minutes. If your frosting needs a more stiff consistency, add the remaining sugar. If your frosting needs to be thinned out, add the remaining cream.4 cups powdered sugar, 4 tablespoons heavy cream
- Add vanilla and salt then increase the speed to high for about 2 to 3 minutes and whip until the frosting is light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides every minute or so.1 tablespoon vanilla extract, ¼ teaspoon salt
- Frost or fill your baked goods or just lick the beaters.
You might also like: