Belgian Waffles are made with a secret ingredient and technique to create incredibly fluffy waffles that are perfect for covering in your favorite toppings!
These Belgian Waffles are perfectly golden brown with a slight crisp on the outside while remaining amazingly airy and fluffy on the inside! One bite into these waffles and you’ll know you’ve instantly found your new favorite go-to breakfast recipe!
Why I Love This Recipe!
- Delicious Variations! These waffles make a great base for you to get creative! Scroll down to the bottoms to see some delicious variations to try!
- Make Them Ahead! Who doesn’t love a make-ahead breakfast for busy weekday mornings?! These waffles are perfect for kids to pop in the toaster themselves while you gather up backpacks and lunches to get everyone out the door on time!
- Fluffy Waffles! This great recipe delivers perfectly airy and fluffy waffles with deep pockets for syrup that you swear can only come from a restaurant!
- Toppings! Finish these Belgian waffles off by covering them in your favorite toppings such as whipped cream or maple syrup!
This Belgian Waffle recipe uses mostly pantry staple ingredients to deliver warm, fluffy waffles to your family! To get started you’ll need eggs, granulated sugar, unsalted butter, whole milk, sparkling water, vanilla extract, lemon zest, flour, baking powder, and salt.
Aside from the sparkling water, it sounds like a regular waffle recipe, right? But the secret to these fluffy Belgian waffles is in the sparkling water and beating the egg whites to stiff peaks!
Just by adding in that one easy ingredient and then quickly beating the egg whites, you’ll get incredibly airy and fluffy waffles every time!
Once the Belgian Waffles come off your waffle iron, all that’s left to do is finish them off with delicious toppings! Dress them up with:
- Homemade Cinnamon Butter or old-fashioned Butter and maple syrup!
- Dust them with powdered sugar!
- Bury the waffles in Homemade Whipped Cream and then cover them in colorful sprinkles!
- Pour some Easy Homemade Strawberry Sauce Topping over your stack!
- Serve these Belgian Waffles covered in your favorite fresh berries!
How To Make Belgian Waffles
- Separate the eggs and then beat the egg whites with a hand mixer until white and stiff.
- Whisk together the egg yolks, sugar, vanilla, and lemon zest in a separate large bowl until light and fluffy.
- Mix in the milk, sparkling water, and melted butter.
- Stir together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Then fold the dry ingredients into the egg-sugar mixture.
- Gently Fold in the egg whites with a rubber spatula.
- Cook the waffle batter in your waffle iron until golden brown!
These waffles are not super sweet so you can play around with nice toppings. But if you want to eat them without toppings you might want to add more sugar.
Spice them up by adding cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice.
This recipe can be used as a base recipe. How about adding more lemon zest and poppy seeds or blueberries?
Can I Make These Ahead?
Yes, you can. Put them in a toaster to warm them up. In a closed container in your fridge, they will stay good for around 4 days.
Can I Freeze Waffles?
Yes, that is no problem. Let them cool down completely and freeze up tightly covered for up to 4 months. You can also freeze and toast them.
It doesn’t take long for my family to make a tall stack of Belgian Waffles disappear! Check out more tasty Breakfast Recipes that you’re family will love to eat up as well!
- Strawberry Danish With Cream Cheese – Flaky golden brown pastries filled with a sweet cream cheese filling and topped with fresh juicy strawberries!
- The Best Brioche French Toast – Slices of brioche bread soaked in a rich and creamy egg wash and then cooked up to a golden brown!
- Banana Pancakes – Delicious pancakes topped with sauteed bananas, butter, chopped walnuts, and sticky maple syrup!
- Air Fryer Chocolate Donuts (From Scratch) – Soft, fluffy donuts bursting with rich chocolatey flavor!
- Cinnamon Roll Casserole – An easy yet delicious breakfast treat loaded with cinnamon, maple, and pecans!
Homemade Belgian WafflesPin For Later
CLICK THE BUTTON ABOVE TO SAVE THIS DELICIOUS RECIPE TO YOUR BOARD!
👋 Let’s Connect!
If you’ve tried this recipe please let me know how you liked it in the comments below and leave a review, I love hearing from you! And don’t forget to tag me – @sugarandsoulco – on Instagram and Pinterest with your photos or join our Busy Family Recipes Facebook Community and share them there!
- Separate the eggs and beat the egg whites in a clean bowl until white and stiff, set aside.
- In another bowl whisk together egg yolks, sugar, vanilla, and lemon zest until light and fluffy.
- Add milk, sparkling water, and melted butter and mix briefly.
- Stir together flour, baking powder, and salt and fold into the egg-sugar mixture.
- Gently fold in the egg whites to not lose too much air.
- Cook in your waffle iron in batches until golden brown (around 1 cup of batter per waffle/one soup ladle).
- You can only use milk if you don’t have sparkling water. Sparkling water will make the waffles fluffier and airier. But milk will also work and result in tasty waffles.
- This step is optional, but will result in fluffier waffles