Learn How To Make A Blackberry Margarita On The Rocks in 5 minutes using tequila, orange liqueur, lime juice, and blackberry simple syrup!
The Best Time To Make This Recipe For Blackberry Margarita
Since this Blackberry Margarita Recipe is the best, there’s no wrong way to enjoy it! Though I do find it tastes better when surrounded by friends and family as the sun goes down!
This Blackberry Margarita has a fresh, delicious burst of flavor that easily makes it stand out against the rest! This is because this margarita recipe is infused with homemade blackberry simple syrup.
The simple syrup is made with only 4 ingredients in just 30 minutes and adds unbelievable flavor since it’s made with fresh, juicy blackberries. This results in a margarita that has a mouthwatering sweet, fruity, yet tart flavor that will absolutely impress your taste buds!
Blackberry Margarita Ingredients
- simple syrup or lime juice – optional for rim
- sea salt or sugar – optional for rim
- silver tequila
- orange liqueur such as Triple Sec, Cointreau, or Grand Marnier
- fresh lime juice
- Blackberry Simple Syrup
- blackberries for garnish, optional
- lime slices for garnish, optional
Substitutions and Variations:
- Tequila – I really enjoy making this blackberry margarita with silver tequila. However, you can use your favorite tequila or whatever you have on hand. Aside from silver, reposado tequila would be another good choice as it has a rich, complex flavor from its aging process.
- Orange Liqueur – Triple Sec, Cointreau, or Grand Marnier are all orange liqueurs that go well in this margarita. However, you can even replace orange liqueur altogether by using Chambord in its place.
- Blackberry Simple Syrup – For the best taking fresh blackberry margarita, I highly recommend making your own Blackberry Simple Syrup From Scratch! However, you can also make this with store-bought blackberry simple syrup. Torani brand carries a line of great simple syrups that you can find at your local stores.
- Lime Juice – Freshly squeezed is best, but store-bought will also work in a pinch.
- Rim – I recommend pairing simple syrup with sugar and lime juice with salt when choosing your rim!
- Frozen Margarita – Cool down even more by enjoying this recipe as a Frozen Blackberry Margarita! To do so, pour the margarita mix into a blender with ice and pulse until slushy.
- Margaritas For 2 – Most cocktail shakers can fit two drinks; therefore, you can serve up two drinks by doubling the recipe. One for you and one for a friend!
How to Make a Blackberry Margarita
Step 1: Dip the rim of the glass in blackberry simple syrup. Then, dip the wet rim into salt or sugar to coat and then set the glass aside.
Step 2: Pour the silver tequila, orange liqueur, fresh lime juice, and blackberry simple syrup into a cocktail shaker that’s filled with ice.
Step 3: Shake the cocktail shaker and then strain the margarita mix into a glass filled with ice.
Step 4: Finish with your choice of garnishes, serve, and enjoy!
- Blackberries – Whole or use a muddle to mash up a few blackberries to add to the cocktail.
- Lime Wedges or Lime Wheels – Slice and hang off the edge of the glass.
- Fresh fruit of your choice
- Mini purple flowers – To float in the margarita!
How to Make this Blackberry Margarita Recipe in a Pitcher
Following this Blackberry Margarita Recipe as is will yield one drink. However, if you’re going to be serving a crowd or plan to have more than one margarita, then blackberry pitcher margaritas will be the best choice!
To make this Blackberry Margarita Recipe in a pitcher that will serve 8 drinks, add 12 ounces of tequila to a pitcher or drink dispenser. Then pour in 8 ounces of orange liqueur, 8 ounces of lime juice, and 8 ounces of blackberry simple syrup.
Gently stir the pitcher of margarita mix and then serve it to guests in glasses with a salt or sugar rim over ice with garnishes. You can even make this ahead for easier party prep!
Once the pitcher of margaritas is made, just store it in the fridge to enjoy within 3 days.
Blackberry Margarita Additions and Substitutions
Feel free to swap out the silver tequila for your favorite as well as use your favorite orange liqueur in this recipe. You can increase the amount of blackberry simple syrup for even more blackberry flavor.
What to Serve with a Blackberry Margarita on the Rocks
Play bartender and serve these Blackberry Margaritas up with a variety of other margaritas for guests to choose from! Strawberry Margaritas, Raspberry Margaritas, and Blueberry Margaritas are all fruity choices that would fit in great among this blackberry-flavored margarita!
Sip on this margarita in the heat of summer while surrounded by friends and family as you enjoy smoked or grilled food! Or enjoy it at brunch with the girls while devouring a slice of Blackberry Brown Sugar Coffee Cake or a stack of Berry Stuffed French Toast.
Blackberry Margarita FAQs
Yes, this Blackberry Margarita Recipe can be made into a virgin blackberry margarita mocktail. To do so, swap the alcohol out for club soda or sparkling water.
“On the rocks” essentially just means served over ice. It’s a more common reference to liquors such as bourbon or scotch, but since margaritas can also be frozen, this term is usually the distinction for a traditional margarita.
Cointreau is hands down a better option when it comes to taste and smoothness. It also has a higher alcohol content. Triple Sec, however, is much cheaper and gets the job done. Dry curacao is also a nice option to use in margaritas.
Generally, there are 2 to 2.5 ounces of alcohol in a 4 to 5-ounce margarita, so about half.
👋 Let’s Connect!
If you’ve tried this recipe, please let me know how you liked it in the comments below and leave a review. I love hearing from you!
Don’t forget to tag me – @sugarandsoulco – on Instagram and Pinterest with your photos or join our Sugar & Soul Show-offs Community and share them there, where you can join our recipe challenges!
Best Blackberry Margarita Recipe
- simple syrup or lime juice for rim
- salt or sugar optional for rim
- 1½ ounces silver tequila
- 1 ounce orange liqueur Triple Sec, Cointreau, or Grand Marnier
- 1 ounce fresh lime juice
- 1 ounce Blackberry Simple Syrup
- Blackberries for garnish, optional
- lime wedges for garnish, optional
- Dip the rim of the glass in simple syrup or lime juiceor run a lime wedge around the rim and then dip in either salt or sugar to coat and set aside. I recommend a simple syrup/sugar or lime juice/salt combo.
- Add 1½ ounces silver tequila, 1 ounce orange liqueur, 1 ounce fresh lime juice, and 1 ounce Blackberry Simple Syrup to a cocktail shaker filled with ice.
- Shake vigorously for 10 to 15 seconds and strain into a glass filled halfway with nugget or crushed ice.
- Garnish with Blackberries and lime wedges and serve.
- Two drinks should fit in most standard cocktail shakers, so feel free to double the recipe!
- More blackberry syrup can be added if you prefer.
- It can be made in advance. Just shake and pour into an airtight container, and enjoy within 3 days.
- Large Batch Recipe – Serves 8:
- 12 ounces of tequila
- 8 ounces of orange liqueur
- 8 ounces of lime juice
- 8 ounces of blackberry simple syrup