I’m excited to be back guest posting for Rebecca. Last month I shared an easy Shrimp and Veggie Alfredo. Today I’m sharing one of my favorite things, cupcakes. These amazing lemon cupcakes are topped with a fresh strawberry buttercream frosting. I love the combo of fruit and citrus and these cupcakes are probably my new favorite dessert.
My Aunt is in town from the east coast and we had a big family dinner at my parents Sunday evening so we could all visit. Of course I offered to bring dessert because it’s my favorite thing to make. My blackberry filled cupcakes were requested and I couldn’t wait to make them again. I was in a baking mood so I started going through my kitchen to see what I had to come up with more cupcake ideas. This is how many of my recipes come about, using whatever I have on hand. I had some strawberries that needed to be used and thought it was a good idea to keep going with the fruit and citrus theme.
If you don’t have fresh strawberries, you can always use a store bought puree or syrup. But if you have them available, it is definitely worth the extra few minutes it takes because nothing beats the taste of fresh berries! I put a handful of strawberries in my mini food processor and blended for about a minute.
Lemon Cupcakes with Strawberry Frosting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line cupcake pan and set aside.
- Whisk together flour, salt and baking powder; set aside.
- Beat together melted butter and sugar until smooth.
- Add eggs one at a time, then add vanilla and mix until smooth.
- Mix in lemon juice, zest and milk.
- Slowly add flour mixture and mix until just combined.
- Fill cupcake liners about 2/3 full.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes. Let cool completely before frosting.
- To start the frosting, beat butter on high until light and fluffy (2-3 minutes).
- Slowly add about 3 cups of powdered sugar. Pour in strawberry puree and beat until mixed.
- Add remaining powdered sugar until you get desired consistency and beat on high about 2-3 minutes.
- Frost cupcakes and enjoy!