Mexican Hot chocolate is a rich, thick chocolaty mug of pure bliss that uses chili powder to bring another level of heat!
Here in Maine, we see quite a few cold snowy days so having a cup of hot chocolate to sip on makes them more bearable! Nutella Hot Chocolate and Hot Chocolate Coffee are other favorites we also use throughout the winter months in our house!
This Mexican Hot Chocolate is perfect for piling high with all of your favorite toppings! We love using Homemade Marshmallows, Whipped Cream, a chocolate syrup drizzle, and even slide a cinnamon stick in it!
The chili powder is really what takes it from being regular hot chocolate to Mexican Hot Chocolate. It’s not an overpowering spicy flavor but just enough to give it a little kick of heat!
Try not to knock it until you try it, I promise you won’t regret it!
Mexican Hot Chocolate Ingredients
This recipe uses easy ingredients you likely have on hand! Whole milk, vanilla extract, chili powder, dark brown sugar, ground cinnamon, and baking chocolate. Grab your choice of toppings to pile on top!
For an even bigger kick of heat try using just a pinch of cayenne pepper!
How To Make Hot Chocolate
Dig out your favorite mug and be prepared to fall in love with your new favorite version of hot chocolate!
- Simmer: Bring the milk to a simmer in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Melt: Use a wire whisk to stir in the chopped chocolate until it’s fully melted.
- Mix: Add in the cinnamon powder, chili powder, sugar, and vanilla extract and simmer for an additional 2 minutes.
- Serve: Pour into your favorite mug and top with marshmallows, whipped cream, and drizzle chocolate syrup on top! Or sprinkle with cinnamon sugar!
How To Store
Keep any leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 5 days in an airtight container.
Can This Be Made In A Crockpot?
Yes, but I would recommend making it into a larger batch to do so. Put all ingredients into the crockpot on low for 2 hours, stirring occasionally, and then place on warm.
Snuggle up with a mug of Mexican Hot Chocolate or choose another version of this classic winter drink to try!
- Eggnog Hot Chocolate – Pairs two of winter’s favorites into one creamy mug of deliciousness!
- Crock Pot Hot Chocolate – Leave on warm and enjoy it all day long!
- Kahula Hot Chocolate – Relax with this boozy version laced with coffee liqueur!
- Irish Cream Hot Chocolate – The perfect hot cocktail to have on a chilly night!
- Homemade French Hot Chocolate – An easy recipe using just 4 ingredients!
Mexican Hot Chocolate
Click the button above to save this delicious recipe to your board!
👋 Let’s Connect!
If you’ve tried this recipe please let me know how you liked it in the comments below and leave a review, I love hearing from you! And don’t forget to tag me – @sugarandsoulco – on Instagram and Pinterest with your photos! You can also Subscribe to my Newsletter so you never miss a delicious recipe again!
Mexican Hot Chocolate
- In a small saucepan, bring 2 cups of milk to a simmer in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add chopped chocolate to the milk and stir until the chocolate melts.
- Add in the cinnamon powder, chili powder, sugar, and vanilla extract, and continue to simmer for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and pour into two mugs and serve hot with whipped cream, marshmallows, and chocolate syrup drizzle on top.
- For an even bigger kick of heat try using just a pinch of cayenne pepper!